The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
Whether it was Patti Smith's angry moan, Nina Simone's guttural growl, or Dolly Parton's towering hair and sweet voice, women have been a musical force to be reckoned with. In Here She Comes Now, today's biggest and brightest writers tackle their favorite female musicians and the effect they've had on their own lives. From Rosie Schaap writing about Sandy Denny to Susan Choi writing about Stevie Nicks to Elissa Schappell writing about Kim Gordon, Here She Comes Now thoughtfully and lovingly discusses the extreme badassery of the women who break through all the barriers to truly rock.
Jeff Gordinier is a staff writer for The New York Times and the author of X Saves the World. His work has appeared in a variety of publications, including Details, Outside, Esquire, PoetryFoundation.org, Creative Nonfiction, Fortune, GQ, Elle, and Entertainment Weekly.
Marc Weingarten is the author of The Gang That Wouldn’t Write Straight and Station to Station. He is producer of the 2011 documentary God Bless Ozzy Osbourne, as well as television's The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. He lives in Malibu, CA.
Table of Contents
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Diamond in a Rhinestone World Allison Glock on Dolly Parton
2. Why Do Fools Fall in Love? Kim Morgan on Ronnie Spector
3. A Rock Star is a Teenager Aline Simone on Sinead O'Connor
4. Revenge of the Nerds Taffy Brodesser-Akner on Taylor Swift
5. Pressing On Jennifer Nix on June Carter Cash
6. Running Up That Hill Lisa Catherine Harper on Kate Bush
7. Strange Angel Isabella Alimonti on Laurie Anderson
8. The One Marisa Silver on Judee Sill
9. Nina, Goddam! Katell Keing on Nina Simone
10. Better Than Clearasil: How X-Ray Spex allowed me to see past a Germ Filled Adolescence Dan Waters on X-Ray Spex and Poly-Styrene
11. Beautiful Child Susan Choi on Stevie Nicks
12. Sister Elissa Schappell on Kim Gordon
13. Jesus Freaks, Woo Woo Girls, Faeries, and Björk Margaret Wappler
14. Not Rid of Me Ian Daly on P. J. Harvey
15. In That Dark Room: Aretha, Loretta, and a Microphone Ada Limón on Aretha Franklin and Loretta Lynn
16. A Vision of a Daughter of Albion Rosie Schaap on Sandy Denny
17. Soul Survivor Kate Christensen on Tina Turner
18. Punk Nerd Grrrl Felicia Luna Lemus on Kathleen Hanna
19. All That I Can Say Charlotte Druckman on Mary J. Blige
20. Exile in Godville Bart Blasengame on Liz Phair
21. Wreckage Phyllis Grant on Madonna and Miley Cyrus
22. Don't Wanna Be A Rock 'N' Roll Nigger Dael Orlandersmith on Patti Smith