Pamela Gore provides hands on activities in this 1st edition Historical Geology Lab Manual. Her authoritative figure within Historical Geology is shown throughout the text of this book.
The laboratories in this manual cover the following topics: rocks and minerals, weathering of rocks and the formation of sediment, sedimentary rocks and structures, depositional sedimentary environments, sand sieve analysis, relative dating, stratigraphy and lithologic correlation, fossils on the Internet, invertebrate macrofossils, microfossils, preservation, biostratigraphy, evolution, vertebrate paleontology, and interpreting geologic history from maps.
- Lab 1: Relative Dating
- Lab 2: Rocks and Minerals
- Lab 3: Weathering of Rocks and the Formation of Sediment
- Lab 4: Sedimentary Rocks
- Lab 5: Sedimentary Structures
- Lab 6: Depositional Sedimentary Environments
- Lab 7: Stratigraphy and Lithologic Correlation
- Lab 8: Fossils on the Internet
- Lab 9: Microfossils and Introduction to the Tree of Life
- Lab 10: Invertebrate Macrofossils and Classification of Organisms
- Lab 11: Fossil Preservation and Trace Fossils
- Lab 12: The Evolution of the Vertebrates
Background History and Acknowledgments