Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
Charts the deep, diverse history of the largest continent
A History of Asia is the only text to cover the area known as "monsoon Asia"--India, China, Korea, Japan, and Southeast Asia--from the earliest times to the present.
Written by leading scholar Rhoads Murphey, the book uses an engaging, lively tone to chronicle the complex political, social, intellectual, and economic histories of this area. Popular because of its scope and coverage, as well as its illustrations, maps, and many boxed primary sources, the new edition of A History of Asia continues as a leader in its field.
Contents by Country or Region
List of Maps
List of Documents
Author's Note to the Reader
About the Author
A Note on the Spelling of Asian Names and Words
Map: Monsoon Asia
Introduction: Monsoon Asia as a Unit of Study.
1. PREHISTORIC ASIA.
2. ASIAN RELIGIONS AND THEIR CULTURES.
3. THE TRADITIONAL SOCIETIES OF ASIA.
4. THE CIVILIZATION OF ANCIENT INDIA.
5. THE CIVILIZATION OF ANCIENT CHINA.
6. MEDIEVAL INDIA.
7. EARLY AND MEDIEVAL SOUTHEAST ASIA.
8. CHINA : A GOLDEN AGE.
9. EARLY, CLASSICAL, AND MEDIEVAL JAPAN AND KOREA.
10. MUGHAL INDIA AND CENTRAL ASIA.
11. NEW IMPERIAL SPLENDOR IN CHINA: THE MING DYNASTY.
12. THE WEST ARRIVES IN ASIA.
13. MANCHU CHINA AND TOKUGAWA JAPAN.
14. THE RISE OF BRITISH POWER IN INDIA.
15. THE TRIUMPH OF IMPERIALISM IN ASIA.
16. SUBJUGATION, NATIONALISM, AND REVOLUTION IN CHINA AND INDIA.
17. THE STRUGGLE FOR ASIA , 1920-1945.
18. REVIVAL AND REVOLUTION IN JAPAN AND CHINA.
19. KOREA AND SOUTHEAST ASIA IN THE MODERN WORLD.
20. SOUTH ASIA : INDEPENDENCE , POLITICAL DIVISION, AND DEVELOPMENT.
21. ASIA IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY.