Renowned Homer scholar Barry B. Powell has already given the world powerful new translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey. Now his Homer's Iliad and Odyssey: The Essential Books brings together his translations of the most important books and passages from these two great poems in one handy volume.
Accessible, poetic, and accurate, Barry Powell's translations are an excellent fit for today's students. With swift, transparent language that rings both ancient and modern, Powell exposes students to all of the rage, pleasure, pathos, cunning, and humor that are Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. Both the translations and the introductions are informed by the best recent scholarship.
* Uses well-modulated verse and accurate English that is contemporary but never without dignity
* Powell's introduction sets the poems in their philological, mythological, and historical contexts
* Features unique on-page notes, facilitating students' engagement with the poems
* Embedded illustrations accompanied by extensive captions provide Greek and Roman visual sources for key passages
* Maps provide geographic context for the poems' many place names
* Audio recordings (read by Powell) of important passages are available on the book's Companion Website and indicated in the text margin by an icon