Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
Sermons to change you, a life to inspire you.
Scholar, expositor, storyteller, and evangelist, R. A. Torrey was a master-of-all-trades minister. Crowds worldwide called his preaching “that famous Torrey thing.”
And that famous Torrey thing won souls.
Inside are the most famous, influential, and characteristic of his sermons. Though nearly a century old, they challenge us anew from Scripture and are greatly instructive to any who preach.
Drawn from various periods of Torrey’s ministry, and prefaced with bibliographic commentary, these sermons paint a portrait of a man gripped by God. But even more they grip the reader. They take us into the great halls where God’s Word bellowed forth from Torrey and left his audiences hushed. It’s no wonder that Torrey caught the attention of the great evangelist D. L. Moody.
Be ready to be provoked. Like an archer who strikes with both accuracy and force, Torrey preached with clarity while cutting deep to the heart. Behind the bow you’ll see a man fully sold on the kingdom of God, and you’ll be inspired to follow suit.
Fred Sanders is associate professor of theology at Biola University's Torrey Honors Institute. A popular blogger and speaker, Sanders has authored numerous journal articles and written or contributed to several books, including The Image of the Immanent Trinity. He blogs at www.scriptoriumdaily.com.
Introduction: Torrey and His Sermons, by Fred Sanders
Part I: From the Years with Moody
1. "Ten Reasons Why I Believe the Bible is the Word of God"
2. "How to Prepare a Sermon"
Part II: From the Great World Tour
3. "Found Wanting"
4. "Every Man's Need of a Refuge"
5. "Refuges of Lies"
6. "Three Fires"
7. "What the Resurrection of Jesus from the Dead Proves"
8. "God's Blockade of the Road to Hell"
9. "The Most Effective Method of Soul-Winning"
Part III: From the Biola Years and After
10. "Walking as Jesus Walked"
11. "The Deity of the Holy Spirit and the Distinction between Father, Son, and Holy Spirit"
12. "The Great Attraction, the Uplifted Christ"
13. "Why God used D.L. Moody"
14. "The Baptism with the Holy Spirit: What it is and What it does"
Appendix: Torrey's Autobiography