Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Through his teaching, his textbook, and in his online blog, award-winning teacher Michael D. Johnson sparks the interest of today’s science-intimidated student by connecting basic biology to real-world issues relevant to students' own lives. Through a storytelling approach and extensive online support, Human Biology: Concepts and Current Issues, Seventh Edition not only demystifies how the human body works but drives students to become better consumers of health and science information. Each chapter opens with Johnson’s popular "Current Issue" essays, and BlogInFocus references within the chapter direct students to his frequently-updated online blog for breaking human biology-related news.
Seventh Edition offers stronger student self-assessment tools with new and expanded critical thinking questions throughout each chapter and in the end-of-chapter reviews.
Dr. Michael D. Johnson earned his B.S. degree in Zoology from Washington State University and then moved East to earn a Ph.D. in physiology from the University of Michigan. After completing a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Harvard Medical School he joined the faculty of West Virginia University, where he remained for most of his career.
From 2001 to 2006 Dr. Johnson resided in the Sultanate of Oman, where he served as Founding Dean of a new medical school being built in academic partnership with West Virginia University. Following a brief period back home at West Virginia University, in 2008 he moved to Qatar to take the position of Associate Dean for Premedical Education at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar. He returned to the United States in 2011 to concentrate on writing and on researching topics of interest in Human Biology.
Dr. Johnson received several teaching awards during his career, including the West Virginia University Foundation Outstanding Teacher award and the Distinguished Teacher Award of the School of Medicine. He is a member of the American Physiological Society, the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society, the National Association of Biology Teachers, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Table of Contents
1. Human Biology, Science, and Society
2. The Chemistry of Living Things
3. Structure and Function of Cells
4. From Cells to Organ Systems
5. The Skeletal System
6. The Muscular System
8. Heart and Blood Vessels
9. The Immune System and Mechanisms of Defense
10. The Respiratory System: Exchange of Gases
11. The Nervous System: Integration and Control
12. Sensory Mechanisms
13. The Endocrine System
14. The Digestive System and Nutrition
15. The Urinary System
16. Reproductive Systems
17. Cell Reproduction and Differentiation
18. Cancer: Uncontrolled Cell Division and Differentiation
19. Genetics and Inheritance
20. DNA Technology and Genetic Engineering
21. Development and Aging
22. Evolution and the Origins of Life
23. Ecosystems and Populations
24. Human Impacts, Biodiversity, and Environmental Issues