Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
In addition to covering the core issues relating to human resource management, such as recruitment and selection, training and development, and reward, the book also discusses emerging issues like talent management and the effective management of staff on international assignments.
Pedagogical features include boxed skills exercises and learning activities, section summaries, suggestions for further reading, assignment and discussion questions, and a guide to key concepts.
This new edition features a new chapter entitled "Utilizing Human Resources," which covers areas such as flexibility, talent management, and health and safety.
Adopting instructors receive a copy of a DVD featuring video interviews with practitioners, filmed specially for the textbook.
The textbook is also supported by a fully integrated Companion Website:
- Interactive glossary of terms
- Multiple-choice questions
- Web links
- Online video links connecting relevant human resource management content to themes and chapters from the book
For registered adopters:
- PowerPoint slides
- Test bank
- Suggested seminar activities
- Figures and tables from the book
- Guide to assignment and discussion questions
- Guide to practitioner interviews
- Exercises to accompany DVD material
Table of Contents
Part One: The nature of human resource management
1. Introducing Human Resource Management, Sarah Gilmore
2. The Strategic Dimensions of Human Resource Management, Sarah Gilmore
Part Two: The external and internal contexts of human resource management
3. The Business Environment of Human Resource Management, Rob Thomas
4. Human Resource Management in an Organizational Context, David Preece
Part Three: The essence of human resource management
5. Recruiting and selecting staff in organizations, Sarah Gilmore
6. Developing human resources, Sarah Gilmore
7. Rewarding people at work, Stephen Pilbeam
8. Utilizing human resources in organizations, Sarah Gilmore and Steve Williams
9. Redundancy and human resource management, Steve Williams
Part Four: Challenges and controversies in human resource management
10. Equality, diversity, and dignity at work, Charlotte Rayner and Sally Rumbles
11. Managing performance and absence, David Hall
12. Employment relations, Steve Williams and Iona Byford
13. Managing grievances, discipline, and workplace conflict, Steve Williams and Sally Rumbles
Part Five: Human resource management in broader perspective
14. Ethics and human resource management, Richard Christy and Gill Christy
15. International human resource management, Steve Williams, Liza Howe-Walsh, and Peter Scott
16. Conclusions, Sarah Gilmore