Only one copy
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
This popular introduction to interpersonal communication provides a highly balanced presentation of theory and skills, while placing emphasis on the important role relating to others plays in successful interpersonal interactions.
Recognized for its focus on being “other-oriented” - a focal point that highlights the importance interpersonal interactions - Interpersonal Communication: Relating to Others enhances communication competence in a variety of interpersonal relationships and interpersonal contexts. This sixth edition emphasizes the expanding role of technology in interpersonal communication and the implication of its use in our daily relationships and communication with others.
Relating to Others also offers exceptional coverage of cultural diversity, to help readers understand and adapt to these differences while learning how to establish common links with other individuals enabling them to build and strengthen relationships in their everyday lives.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents:
I. INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION FOUNDATIONS
1. Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
What is Interpersonal Communication?
Why is Interpersonal Communication Important to Your Life?
The Communication Process
Electronically Mediated Interpersonal Communication
Principles of Interpersonal Communication
Improving Your Interpersonal Communication Competence
2. Interpersonal Communication and Self
Self Concept: Who You Think You Are
Self-Esteem: Your Self Worth
How to Improve Your Self Esteem
Self and Interpersonal Relationships
Self and Communication Social Style
3. Interpersonal Communication and Perception
Understanding Interpersonal Perception
How We Form Impressions of Others
How We Interpret the Behavior of Others
Barriers to Accurate Interpersonal Perception
How to Improve Perception Skills
4. Interpersonal Communication and Cultural Diversity: Adapting to Others
Understanding Diversity: Describing Our Differences
Understanding Culture: Dimensions of Our Mental Software
Barriers to Effective Intercultural Communication
Improving Intercultural Communication Competence
II. INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION SKILLS
5. Listening and Responding Skills
Enhancing Listening Comprehension Skills
Enhancing Empathic Listening Skills
Enhancing Critical Listening Skills
Enhancing Responding Skills
Enhancing Empathic Responding Skills
Enhancing Skill in Confirming Others
6. Verbal Communication Skills
How Words Work
The Power of Words
Using Words to Support Others
Using Words to Be Appropriately Assertive
7. Nonverbal Communication Skills.
Why Learn about Nonverbal Communication?
The Challenge of Interpreting Nonverbal Messages
Nonverbal Communication Codes
Interpreting Nonverbal Communication
Improving Your Skill in Interpreting Nonverbal Messages
Improving Your Skill in Expressing Nonverbal Messages
8. Conflict Management Skills.
Conflict and Power.
Conflict Management Styles
Conflict Management Skills
III. INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION RELATIONSHIPS.
9. Understanding Interpersonal Relationships
Interpersonal Relationships Defined
Types of Interpersonal Relationships
Genesis of Interpersonal Relationships: Attraction
Stages of Interpersonal Relationship Development
Theories of Interpersonal Relationship Development
10. Managing Relationship Challenges
The Dark side of Interpersonal Communication and Relationships
De-Escalation and Termination of Relationships
11. Interpersonal Relationships: Friendship and Romance
Strategies and Skills for Developing Interpersonal Relationships
12. Interpersonal Relationships: Family and Workplace