More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 10/25/2013.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Surinder Jodhka, Professor and Head, Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University
Surinder Jodhka is Professor and Head, Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Table of Contents
Introduction: 'Modernity', Identity, and 'Citizenship'-Dipankar Gupta and Sociology of India, Surinder Jodhka
1. Strangers, Neighbours, and Political Order in the South Asian City, T.B. Hansen
2. The 'Embourgeoisement' of a 'Proletarian Vanguard'? Jonathan Parry
3. Does the Middle Class Have Boundaries? Andre Beteille
4. Old Differences and New Hierarchies: The Trouble with Tribes in Contemporary India, Kriti Kapila
5. What Is Civil and Uncivil in Civil Society? Conceptual Reflections on Contemporary India, Gurpreet Mahajan
6. Religion, Politics, and Governance: A Comparative Framework, Gurharpal Singh
7. Refining the 'Moderation Thesis' Regarding 'Radical Parties': The Jana Sangh and the BJP between Hindu Nationalism and Coalition Politics in India, Christophe Jaffrelot
8. Researching Health Care in India, 1970-2010: A Reflexive Account, Roger Jeffrey
9. A Different India: New Imaginaries of Otherness after the Reforms, Ravinder Kaur
10. Violence of Law and Citizenship: Conundrum of Democracy under Nationalist Ethos, A. Bimol Akoijam
11. Democracy in India: Of, By, and for Whom? Sumanta Banerjee
About the Editor and Contributors