More New and Used
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
Renting is easy, fast, and cheap! Renting from eCampus.com can save you hundreds of dollars compared to the cost of new or used books each semester. At the end of the semester, simply ship the book back to us with a free UPS shipping label! No need to worry about selling it back.
How do rental returns work?
Returning books is as easy as possible. As your rental due date approaches, we will email you several courtesy reminders. When you are ready to return, you can print a free UPS shipping label from our website at any time. Then, just return the book to your UPS driver or any staffed UPS location. You can even use the same box we shipped it in!
What version or edition is this?
This is the edition with a publication date of 10/25/2013.
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Surinder Jodhka, Professor and Head, Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University
Surinder Jodhka is Professor and Head, Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Table of Contents
Introduction: 'Modernity', Identity, and 'Citizenship'-Dipankar Gupta and Sociology of India, Surinder Jodhka
1. Strangers, Neighbours, and Political Order in the South Asian City, T.B. Hansen
2. The 'Embourgeoisement' of a 'Proletarian Vanguard'? Jonathan Parry
3. Does the Middle Class Have Boundaries? Andre Beteille
4. Old Differences and New Hierarchies: The Trouble with Tribes in Contemporary India, Kriti Kapila
5. What Is Civil and Uncivil in Civil Society? Conceptual Reflections on Contemporary India, Gurpreet Mahajan
6. Religion, Politics, and Governance: A Comparative Framework, Gurharpal Singh
7. Refining the 'Moderation Thesis' Regarding 'Radical Parties': The Jana Sangh and the BJP between Hindu Nationalism and Coalition Politics in India, Christophe Jaffrelot
8. Researching Health Care in India, 1970-2010: A Reflexive Account, Roger Jeffrey
9. A Different India: New Imaginaries of Otherness after the Reforms, Ravinder Kaur
10. Violence of Law and Citizenship: Conundrum of Democracy under Nationalist Ethos, A. Bimol Akoijam
11. Democracy in India: Of, By, and for Whom? Sumanta Banerjee
About the Editor and Contributors