Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
NOTE: Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for the Enhanced Pearson eText may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
This package includes the Enhanced Pearson eText with MyEducationLab and the loose-leaf version
In this new-generation resource, readers learn the key concepts of special education in an engaging, straightforward, comprehensive approach using two-page themes and supplemental links to videos and other resources. While the time-tested elements of traditional books have been retained, this text meets readers’ desires for more interactive, multi-media approaches to learning. Economical and not as lengthy as many books on the subject, Contemporary Special Education is available in print and digital formats, both supported by Web-based enhancements. The Enhanced Pearson eText features embedded video.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText
The Enhanced Pearson eText with MyEducationLab provides a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience.
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.*
- Affordable. Experience the advantages of the Enhanced Pearson eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.
Deb Smith is the recipient of the 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award of Pitzer College and the 2009 Distinguished Award of the College of Education at the University of Washington. She is the Co-Principal Investigator of The IRIS Center for Training Enhancements and Professor in the School of Educational Studies at Claremont Graduate University. Deb recently completed a national study, The Special Education Faculty Needs Assessment (SEFNA) project, which revealed an impending shortage of special education faculty of unprecedented proportions. She has authored or co-authored 11 major textbooks, including the popular introduction to special education text that is in its 7th edition. This new text, Contemporary Special Education: New Horizons, was created using the knowledge about creating interactive instructional units and the learning preferences of today’s adult learners that she and Naomi Tyler have gained through their work with The IRIS Center.
Naomi Chowdhuri Tyler is an Associate Professor of the Practice in Special Education at Vanderbilt University and was the co-author of the 7th edition of Introduction to Special Education: Teaching in an Age of Opportunity. With Deb Smith, she is the Co-Principal Investigator of The IRIS Center for Training Enhancements, which develops and produces engaging, interactive, online instructional materials about working with struggling learners and students with disabilities, available at no cost to users worldwide. She has also directed many federally funded projects that provided important services to minority colleges and universities across the country. Prior to working in higher education, Naomi spent 10 years as a special education teacher working with students from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, in both rural and urban settings.
Table of Contents
- Thinking About Exceptionalities
- Supporting all Learners in General Education
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Individual Program Plan and Special Services
- Speech and Language Impairments
- Learning Disabilities
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Emotional or Behavioral Disorders
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Physical and Health Disabilities
- Hard of Hearing and Deafness
- Low Vision and Blindness
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Very Low Incidence Disabilities: Multiple-Severe Disabilities, Deaf-Blindness, Traumatic Brain Injury
- Giftedness and Talents