Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Paul A. Haslam; prior to joining the University of Ottawa, also worked at the Canadian Foundation for the Americas (FOCAL). His teaching and research interests span both international development and international political economy. His current research focuses on corporate social responsibility, state-firm relations, and the international regulation of foreign direct investment in Latin America.
Jessica Schafer is a professor in the School of International Development and Global Studies at the University of Ottawa. She has conducted research for the United States Agency for International Development, the Overseas Development Institute, and the Department for International Development of the United Kingdom.
Pierre Beaudet is a professor in the School of International Development and Global Studies at the University of Ottawa, with 25 years of experience in international development as a researcher and manager of various programs in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
Table of Contents
List of Boxes, Figures, and Tables
From the Publisher
About the Contributors
Part I Theories of and Approaches to International Development
1. Meaning, Measurement, and Morality in International Development
Jessica Schafer, Paul A. Haslam, and Pierre Beaudet
2. Imperialism and the Colonial Experience
3. Theories of Development
Eunice N. Sahle
5. Gender and Development: The Struggles of Women in the Global South
6. Globalization and Development
Part II International Development Actors
7. State of the State: Does the State Have a Role in Development?
8. National Development Agencies and Bilateral Aid
9. The International Financial Institutions
10. The United Nations and Multilateral Actors in Development
11. Multinational Corporations
Paul Alexander Haslam
12. Civil Society and Development
Part III Issues in International Development
13. Poverty and Exclusion: From Basic Needs to the Millennium Development Goals
David R. Morrison
14. Debt and Development
15. Free Trade and Fair Trade
17. Environment and Development
18. Rural Development
19. Urban Development: Cities and Slums in the Global South
Anne Latendresse and Lisa Bornstein
20. Development and Health
21. Education and Development: The Perennial Contradictions of Policy Discourse
Richard Maclure, Refaat Sabbah, and Daniel Lavan
22. Conflict and Development
Astri Suhrke and Torunn Wimpelmann Chaudhary
23. International Migration and Development
24. Indigenous Peoples: A Category in Development
25. Technology, Information, and Development
Erwin A. Alampay
26. Culture and Development
27. China, Globalization, and Development
Jessica Schafer, Paul Alexander Haslam, and Pierre Beaudet