Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
P.J. Ortmeier holds bachelors and masters degrees in Criminal Justice and a Ph.D. in Educational Leadership with an emphasis in Public Safety Training and Development. He is a U.S. Army veteran and a former police officer. Dr. Ortmeier developed and implemented numerous courses and degree programs in law enforcement, corrections, security, criminal justice, and public safety.
Currently, Dr. Ortmeier is the Coordinator of the 1400-student Administration of Justice Department at Grossmont College, located in the San Diego suburb of El Cajon, California. He also holds teaching positions at California State University, San Marcos, The Union Institute and University, and Webster University in San Diego.
Dr. Ortmeier is the author of Introduction to Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, Policing the Community: A Guide for Patrol Operations, Public Safety and Security Administration and Security Management: An Introduction as well as several articles appearing in journals such as The Police Chief, The Law Enforcement Executive Forum, California Security, Police and Security News, and Security Management. Dr. Ortmeier’s publications focus on law enforcement, criminal justice, professional career education, management, leadership, community policing, security administration, and competency development for public safety personnel. With Edwin Meese III, former Attorney General of the United States, Dr. Ortmeier co-authored Leadership, Ethics, and Policing: Challenges for the 21st Century.
Dr. Ortmeier is a member of the American Society for Criminology, the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences, the Western and Pacific Association of Criminal Justice Educators, the California Association of Administration of Justice Educators, and the American Society for Industrial Security. His current interests include homeland defense and the development of leadership skills and career education pathways for law enforcement and other public safety professionals.
Table of Contents
PART I INTRODUCTION: SECURITY’S ROLE IN SOCIETY
1. History and Overview
2. Threats to Safety and Security
3. Legal Aspects of Security
PART II SECURITY OPERATIONS: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
4. Physical Security: Structural, Electronic, and Human Protection Systems
5. Personnel Security through Leadership and Ethics
6. Information, Communications, and Computer Security
PART III SECURITY MANAGEMENT
7. Risk Assessment, Security Surveys, and Planning
8. Program Implementation and Administration
9. Investigations, Intelligence Operations, and Reporting
PART IV SECURITY APPLICATIONS AND SOLUTIONS
10. Institutional Security, Disaster Recovery, and Executive Protection
11. Industrial Security, Retail Loss Prevention, and Workplace Violence
12. Homeland Security: Confronting Terrorism and Domestic Threats
PART V TRENDS AND CHALLENGES
13. Career Opportunities
14. The Future