The best-selling case-based text, Introduction to Teaching: Becoming a Professional, sharpens its focus on issues in education in its Fifth Edition. Weaving this focus throughout every chapter with new features and chapter sections covering diversity, reform, urban education, and technology, the text ensures that prospective teachers gather all the needed information to create an up-to-date picture of the ever changing face of education. The authors take this information and bring it to life with cases, classroom examples and videos, again ensuring that the living, changing, challenging and fulfilling life of an educator is as clear as it can be.
Video-Enhanced Pearson eText. Included in this package is access to the new Video-Enhanced eText for Introduction to Teaching, exclusively from Pearson. The Video-Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. Full-color online chapters include dynamic videos that show what course concepts look like in real classrooms, model good teaching practice, and expand upon chapter concepts. Over 30 video links, chosen by our authors and other subject-matter experts, are embedded right in context of the content you are reading
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad and Android tablets.*
- Interactive. Features include embedded video, note taking and sharing, highlighting and search.
- Affordable. Experience all these advantages of the Video-Enhanced eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Pearson eText App is available for free on Google Play and in the App Store.* Requires Android OS 3.1 — 4, a 7” or 10” tablet or iPad iOS 5.0 or newer
Don Kauchak has taught and worked in schools in nine different states and in higher education for 40 years. He has published in a number of scholarly journals, including the Journal of Educational Research, Journal of Teacher Education, Teaching and Teacher Education, Phi Delta Kappan, and Educational Leadership. In addition to this text, he has co-authored or co-edited six other books on education. He has also been a principal investigator on federal and state grants examining teacher development and evaluation practices, and presents regularly at the American Educational Research Association. Don strongly believes in the contribution that public schools make to our democracy, and his two children benefited greatly from their experiences in state-supported K—12 schools and public institutions of higher education.
Paul Eggen has worked in higher education for 35 years. In addition to his duties there, he spends a great deal of time working as a consultant to public schools in his university’s service area, and he has provided support to teachers in 12 different states. Paul has also worked with teachers in international schools in 23 countries around the world, including schools in Africa, South Asia, the Middle East, Central America, South America, Europe, and Japan. He has several articles published in national journals, is the co-author or co-editor of six books in addition to this one, and is a frequent presenter at national and international conferences. Paul is strongly committed to public education. His wife is a middle school teacher in a public school, and his two children are graduates of public schools and state-supported universities.
Part 1: Teachers and Students
1. Do I want to Be a Teacher?
2. Changes in American Society: Their Influences on Today’s Students
3. Student Diversity: Culture, Language, Gender, and Exceptionalities
Part 2: Foundations
4. Education in the United States: Its Historical Roots
5. Educational Philosophy and Your Teaching
6. Choosing a School
7. Governance and Finance: Regulating and Funding Schools
8. School Law: Ethical and Legal Influences on Teaching
Part 3: Teaching
9. The School Curriculum in an Era of Standards
10. Classroom Management: Creating Productive Learning Environments
11. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Part 4: Entering the Profession
12. Educational Reform and You
13. Developing as a Professional