Completely updated for Java 8, this book teaches you about the Java language and how to use it to create applications for any computing environment and Android apps. By the time you have finished the book, you’ll have well-rounded knowledge of Java and the Java class libraries. Using your new skills, you will be able to develop your own programs for tasks such as web services, database connectivity, XML processing, and mobile programming.
No previous programming experience required. By following the 21 carefully organized lessons in this book, anyone can learn the basics of Java programming.
Test your knowledge. Each chapter ends with a Workshop section filled with questions, answers, and exercises for further study. There are even certification practice questions.
- Completely revised, updated, and expanded to cover the latest features of Java 8
- Learn to develop Java applications and Android apps using NetBeans and Google’s new Android Studio -- two excellent (and free!) programming platforms
- Covers new features of Java 8 such as closures, the most eagerly anticipated language feature in years
- Easy-to-understand, practical examples clearly illustrate the fundamentals of Java programming
- Discover how Swing can help you quickly develop programs with a graphical user interface
- Find out about JDBC 4.2 programming with the Derby database and XML parsing with the open source XOM class library
- Learn how to use streams to write programs that communicate with the Internet, including socket programming, buffers, channels, and URL handling.