For courses in Criminal Justice Administration and Police Administration. Unlike other texts, this comprehensive, single-author volume addresses the administration of the three components of the justice systempolice, courts, correctionsas well as other contemporary administrative areas and hot issuese.g., personnel administration, financial administration, rights and liabilities of criminal justice employees, and state-of-the-art technology in criminal justice. Focused on the primary people, concepts, terms, and reality of contemporary justice administration, it reflects 27 years of the author's hands-on, front-line experience as a police and corrections practitioner and administrator, planner, and educator.
I. JUSTICE ADMINISTRATION: AN INTRODUCTION.
1. The Study and Scope of Justice Administration.
2. Organization and Administration: Principles and Practices.
II. THE POLICE.
3. Police Organization and Operation.
4. Police Personnel Roles and Functions.
5. Police Issues and Practices.
III. THE COURTS.
6. Court Organization and Operation.
7. Court Personnel Roles and Functions.
8. Court Issues and Practices.
9. Corrections Organization and Operation.
10. Corrections Personnel Roles and Functions.
11. Community Corrections: Probation and Parole.
12. Corrections Issues and Practices.
V. ISSUES SPANNING THE JUSTICE SYSTEM: ADMINISTRATIVE CHALLENGES AND PRACTICES.
13. Rights of Criminal Justice Employees.
14. Special Challenges: Discipline, Labor Relations, and Liability.
15. Financial Administration.
16. Technology Review.
17. Peeking Over the Rim: What Lies Ahead?
Appendix I. Related Web Sites.
Appendix II: Analects of Confucius and Machiavelli.