Kaleidoskop is essentially two books in one: a cultural and literary reader with a comprehensive review of grammar. This combination allows maximum flexibility for instructors to design their own programs. The 10 topics of the Lektüre section contain a variety of texts and activities, and the 10 Kapitel of the self-contained grammar section (Grammatik) allow instructors to work with the grammar topics in whatever order they choose; the grammar chapters may be treated independently of the reading chapters or used concurrently with the Themen of the same number. Given these materials the instructor can provide a learner-centered classroom with activities that lend themselves to cooperative learning.
Kaleidoskop features a flexible four-skills, learner-centered approach that promotes communication and focuses on the literature and culture of the German-speaking world. Reading plays an important role in this text, with exercises for listening, speaking and writing revolving around the wide range of authentic reading selections. These texts are authentic and include advertisements, charts, newspaper and magazine articles, letters, e-mails, forum mails, polls, interviews, biographies, songs, poems, and fiction.
- New! Updated readings in the Lektüre section feature high-interest selections, including seven new cultural texts, three new poems, and a modern short story from a young writer.
- New! Situation-based grammar examples relate grammar to real-world scenarios so that students see how form serves function.
- New! Enhanced integration of color inserts supports learning and assists instructors with in-class integration of the material.
- New! Marginal icons inform students as to the purpose of the activity they are doing (partner or group work) and refer them to additional multimedia support activities, such as readings on the In-text Audio CD and grammar and web-search exercises on the web site.
- Flexible organization offers two books in one: a cultural and literary reader with a comprehensive grammar review.
- Strong correlation between the Lektüre and Grammatik features 10 Themen in the reading section that correspond with the 10 Kapitel in the grammar review. Lektüre also provides a systematic review of the literary texts and practice of the grammar featured in each reading. Grammatik offers a clear and concise format for easy reference, and provides contextualized, proficiency-oriented grammar practice.
- Pre- and post-reading activities provide important background information and strategies to prepare students to read, understand, discuss, and write about authentic texts.