Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
But this book is about experiences of equalization too, highlighting moments and processes of equalization in different parts of the world - from India and other parts of Asia, from the Americas, as well as from Europe. South Africa illustrates the toughest challenges. The killing fields of inequality can be avoided: this book shows how.
Clear, succinct, wide-ranging in scope and empirical in its approach, this timely book by one of the world’s leading social scientists will appeal to a wide readership.
Table of Contents
- I. The Fields
- 1. Human, Nasty, and Short: Life under Inequality
- The Short Lives of the Unequalized
- Stunted Lives
- 2. Behind the Doors of Exclusion
- Political Dictat-ship
- II. Theory
- 3. Theoretical Cross-Draught
- The Difference between Difference and Inequality What Equality Is Desirable?
- Inequality and Poverty
- Opportunity: Should “Losers” Have Another Chance?
- 4. Three Kinds of (In)Equality and Their ProductionDimensions of Human Capability Four Mechanisms of (In)Equality
- III. History
- 5. Inequality and the Rise of Modernity
- Three Master Narratives
- 6. A Historical Six-Pack: Three Inequalities in Global and National History
- Vital Inequality
- Existential Inequality
- Resource Inequality
- IV. Today´s Unequal World
- 7. Current World Patterns and Dynamics
- Unequal Developments among the Unequals
- The World´s Pattern of Income Inequality
- 8. Three Puzzles of Contemporary Inequalities Why Have the Northern Welfare States Failed on Vital Inequality?
- Why has Existential Egalitarianism Become so Successful?
- Is there a Connection between recent Inter-national Convergence and Intra-national Unequalization?
- V. Possible Futures
- 9.Overcoming Inequality- Yesterday and Tomorrow Moments of Equality
- Forces of Equality
- 10. The Decisive Battlefields of Future (In)Equality The Image of Inequality
- The Three Key Institutions of Inequality
- The Decisive Battle - For the Orientation of the Middle Classes