Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Built on a solid research base, this exceptionally applied, accessible, and teacher-friendly text continues to provide balanced coverage of all six of the language arts, including extensive application as well as student artifacts.
Features new to the fifth edition include:
- New full-color inserts, emphasize the four prime instructional processes of language arts: literature focus units, literature circles, reading and writing workshops, and theme cycles
- Piecing a Lesson Together expands lesson topics to include full minilessons and the opportunity for users to create their own lessons online
- Weaving Assessment Into the Classroom features in each chapter take readers into real classrooms to witness the ongoing assessment necessary for masterful language arts teaching
- A fully integrated Companion Website provides users with access to minilessons, research, meaningful activities, and an online journal
- A free CD-ROM with footage of a Language Arts classroom gives users an intimate look at using instructional patterns in practice
Table of Contents
All chapters end with a Review, Extensions, Professional References and Children's Books.
1. Learning and the Language Arts.
2. Teaching and Assessing Language Arts.
3. The Reading and Writing Processes.
4. Emerging into Literacy.
5. Looking Closely at Words.
6. Personal Writing.
7. Listening to Learn.
8. Sustaining Talk in the Classroom.
9. Reading and Writing Stories.
10. Reading and Writing Information.
11. Reading and Writing Poetry.
12. Learning to Spell Conventionally.
13. Learning about Grammar and Usage.
14. Developing Legible Handwriting.
15. Putting It All Together.