Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Law and Language, Michael Freeman and Fiona Smith
2. Legal Texts and Canons of Construction: A View from Current Pragmatic Theory, Robyn Carston
3. Linguistic Meaning and Legal Truth, Brian H. Bix
4. Truth in Law, Andrei Marmor
5. Language, Truth, and Law, Andrew Halpin
6. Claims of Legal Authorities and 'Expressions of Intention': The Limits of Philosophy of Language, Veronica Rodriguez-Blanco
7. Legal Pluralism: A Systems Theory Approach to Language, Translation, and Communication, Richard Nobles and David Schiff
8. Frame Semantics and the 'Internal Point of View', Steven L. Winter
9. Hart as Contextualist? Theories of Interpretation in Language and the Law, Ross Charnock
10. On Goodness and Genre: Talking about Virtue in Law and Literature, Jan-Melissa Schramm
11. The Grin's Cat: Language, Law, and Literature, Sebastian McEvoy
12. Reading and Writing the Law: Macaulay in India, Michael Hancher
13. 'Where be his quiddities now?' Law and Language in Hamlet, Eric Heinze
14. Stories in Law: Providing Space for 'Oppositionists'?, Steven Cammiss
15. Literal Interpretation and English Precedent in Joe Ma's Lawyer, Lawyer, Marco Wan
16. Toward a Cognitive Science of Legal Interpretation, Benjamin Shaer
17. Do You Kick a Dog When It's Down? Considering the Use of Children's Video-taped Testimonies in Court, June Luchjenbroers & Michelle Aldridge-Waddon
18. The Power of Naming: Surnames, Children, and Spouses, Jonathan Herring
19. The Role of Language in Legal Contexts: A Forensic Cross-linguistic Viewpoint, Luna Filipovic
20. Vagueness and Power-Delegation in Law: A Reply to Sorensen, Hrafn Asgeirsson
21. Plato's Fertility Clinic: Status and Identity Rhetoric in Parenthood Disputes, David Gurnham
22. Silence, Speech, and the Paradox of the Right to Remain Silent in American Police Interrogation, Janet Ainsworth
23. The Consumption of Legal Language: Consuming the Law, Anthony Amatrudo
24. (Language + Law)2 = ?, Catrin Fflur Huws
25. MMORPGing, Law, and Lingo, Kim Barker
26. Construing Commercial Contracts: No Need for Violence, Paul S. Davies
27. Why Are Non-US Contracts Written in US Legalese? Some Preliminary Thoughts, and a Research Agenda, Claire A. Hill
28. The Role of Parliamentary Rhetoric in Facilitating the Racial Effect of the Section 44 Terrorism Act 2000 Stop and Search Powers, Rachel Herron
29. Precedent at the Court of Justice of the European Union: the Linguistic Aspect, Karen McAuliffe
30. Law and Language(s) at the Heart of the European Project: Educating Different Kinds of Lawyers, Benedicte Sage-Fuller, Ferdinand Prinz zur Lippe, and Sean O Conaill
31. Foreign Law in Translation: If Truth Be Told..., Simone Glanert and Pierre Legrand
32. First-person Perspectives in Legal Decisions, Lorenz Kahler
33. Deaf People at the Old Bailey from the 18th Century Onwards, Bencie Woll and Christopher Stone
34. Rule of the Root: Proto-Indo-European Domination of Legal Language, Gary Watt
35. Necessary Violence?: Inscribing the Subject of Law, Penelope Pether