Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Leadership and Teams: The Missing Piece of the Educational Reform Puzzle offers a new perspective on educational leadership and pinpoints seven key competencies leaders need to succeed in education today. Drawing on theory from education and industry, the author presents a broader view of leadership by focusing on universal traits that yield consistent results regardless of the environment. Chapters outline how to assess your leadership style, build high performance teams, improve the hiring process, and avoid common pitfalls. Case studies and development plans help readers apply leadership concepts to specific education challenges.
Lyle J. Kirtman, CEO of Future Management Systems Inc., has been a leadership development consultant for 30 years. Future Management Systems specializes in conflict management, coaching, executive searches, and strategic planning. Examples of the varied clients that Future Management Systems has served beyond education include Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, Channel 5 TV in Boston, Farm Aid, Cisco Systems, and the Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents (ALAS).
Lyle has also served as the chairman of the Governor’s Task Force on Innovation in Massachusetts. He has been an executive coach to leaders in education, industry, government, nonprofits, and health care. To the educational reform debate that exists in this country, Lyle brings a unique perspective on leadership, which is now being embraced by many of our best leaders. He draws on his experience in the public and private sectors, along with his education in counseling psychology and his business experience, to advance the change and improvement efforts of school districts. Lyle and his firm are known for a direct and honest approach with leaders that have resulted in significant behavioral change and major results for their organizations. He has consulted with over 300 school districts nationally and has held a central administrator position for the Boston Public Schools.
Table of Contents
- Educational Change for a World of Urgency and Accountability: Why Our Best Leaders Succeed Now!
- Successful Leaders Challenge the Status Quo: Conforming is Less Risky, but Does It Work?
- Who are you as a Leader? Appearances Aren't Always the Real Story.
- The Reality of Practicing Being a High Performing Leader: When Theory Meets Real Life, It is Not Always Pretty.
- Beginning the Hard Work of Improving your Leadership; When Do I Start to Take Control of a Runaway Train?
- Hiring the Right Leaders that will Get Results. Stop the Insanity Now: It is Time for a New Hiring Process.
- Building your Leadership Development Plan (LDP): Customized Action Plans that Allow You to Take Charge Now!