Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Concise yet comprehensive, Clinical Biochemistry Lecture Notes contains all the essential information for students and foundation doctors to understand the biochemical basis of disease and principles of biochemical diagnostics. It presents scientific principles in a clinical setting, with a range of case studies integrated into the text to clearly demonstrate how knowledge should be applied to real-life situations.
Key features include:
• The fundamental science underpinning common biochemical disorders and their investigation in clinical practice
• Accessible flow charts of biochemical processes and the reasoning behind specific tests, making look-up and understanding easy
• A brand new companion website at www.lecturenoteseries.com/clinicalbiochemistry with self-assessment and downloadable summary slides for revision
Clinical Biochemistry Lecture Notes is an ideal overview and revision guide for medical students, foundation doctors, general practitioners, and nurses. It also provides a core text for scientific and medical staff pursuing a career in clinical biochemistry.
Table of Contents
List of abbreviations
1 Requesting and interpreting tests
2 Disturbances of water, sodium and potassium balance
3 Acid–base balance and oxygen transport
4 Renal disease
5 Disorders of calcium, phosphate and magnesium metabolism
6 Diabetes mellitus and hypoglycaemia
7 Disorders of the hypothalamus and pituitary
8 Abnormalities of thyroid function
9 Disorders of the adrenal cortex and medulla
10 Investigation of gonadal function, infertility, menstrual irregularities and hirsutism
11 Pregnancy and antenatal screening
12 Cardiovascular disorders
13 Liver disease
14 Gastrointestinal tract disease
16 Trauma, inflammation, immunity and malignancy
17 Disorders of iron and porphyrin metabolism
18 Uric acid, gout and purine metabolism
19 Central nervous system and cerebrospinal fluid
20 Therapeutic drug monitoring and chemical toxicology
21 Clinical biochemistry in paediatrics and the elderly