Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
The Geographer’s Toolkit
This introduction covers the traditional and modern tools and foundational concepts in wide use in geography.
Part I Atmospheric Systems: Weather and Climate
Part I explores how solar energy in the atmosphere creates atmospheric phenomena and organized systems. One chapter is devoted to the topic of climate change.
1. Portrait of the Atmosphere
2. Seasons and Solar Energy
3. Water in the Atmosphere
4. Atmospheric Circulation and Wind Systems
5. The Restless Sky: Storm Systems and El Niño
6. The Changing Climate
Part II The Biosphere and the Geography of Life
Part II is contextualized around solar energy’s work in the biosphere. Major ecological units and human modification of the biosphere are emphasized. One chapter is devoted to marine ecosystems.
7. Patterns of Life: Biogeography
8. Climate and Life: Biomes
9. Soil and Water Resources
10. The Living Hydrosphere: Ocean Ecosystems
Part III Tectonic Systems: Building the Lithosphere
Part III explores uplift and building topographic relief via geothermal energy.
11. Earth History, Earth Interior
12. Drifting Continents: Plate Tectonics
13. Building the Crust with Rocks
14. Geohazards: Volcanoes and Earthquakes
Part IV Erosion and Deposition: Sculpting the Earth
Part IV examines the work of solar energy, water, chemical reactions, and gravity in grading the Earths surface.
15. Weathering and Mass Movement
16. Flowing Water: Fluvial Systems
17. The Work of Ice: The Cryosphere and Glacial Landforms
18. Water, Wind, and Time: Desert Landforms
19. The Work of Waves: Coastal Landforms