Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Ward A. Cockrum has been involved in literacy education for more than 30 years. His teaching experience includes his positions as a reading specialist in a K–4 school, a middle school reading/science teacher, a fifth-grade teacher and a Pre-first-grade teacher. Currently a professor at Northern Arizona University, he directs the Reading Specialist Endorsement Program and teaches a variety of reading education courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Cockrum is the co-author, with James Shanker, of the fifth edition of the Ekwall/Shanker Reading Inventory.
Table of Contents
How to Use This Book
Part One: Emergent Literacy Skills
1. Developing Phonemic Awareness
2. Developing Alphabet Knowledge
Part Two: Decoding Skills
3. Developing Sight Vocabulary
4. Developing Phonics Knowledge
5. Developing Structural Analysis
6. Developing Ability to Use Context Clues
7. Developing Dictionary Skills
Part Three: Comprehension Skills
8. Developing Vocabulary Knowledge
9. Improving Comprehension
Part Four: Fluency And Specific Oral Reading Difficulties
10. Developing Reading Fluency
11. Improving Poor Pronunciation
12. Decreasing Omissions
13. Decreasing Repetitions
14. Decreasing Inversions or Reversals
15. Decreasing Insertions
16. Decreasing Substitutions
17. Decreasing Guessing at Words
18. Decreasing Word-by-Word Reading
19. Limiting Incorrect Phrasing
20. Decreasing Voicing, Lip Movements, Finger Pointing, and Head Movements
Part Five: Study Skills And Other Abilities
21. Developing Reading Speed
22. Developing the Ability to Adjust Reading Rate
23. Reading at an Appropriate Rate for Comprehending
24. Developing Skimming and Scanning Ability
25. Developing the Ability to Locate Information
26. Developing Spelling Skill
Appendices for Locating And Correcting Reading Difficulties
A-1 Code for Marking in Oral Diagnosis
A-2 Books for Emergent Readers
A-3 Basic Sight Word Sentences
A-4 A Phonics Primer
A-5 Phonogram Lists
A-6 Words for Teaching Short and Long Vowels
A-7 Words, Sentences, and Stories for Teaching Structural Analysis
A-8 Prepositional Phrases
A-9 Prefixes and Suffixes
A-10 Using the Cloze Procedure
A-11 Repeated Readings Chart
A-12 Precision Reading Form and Charts
A-13 Charts for Graphing Words per Minute and Comprehension
A-14 Suggestions for Interviewing Parents of Low Achieving Readers
A-15 The Language Experience Approach