Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Eric Tagliocozzo is Associate Professor of History and Asian Studies, Cornell University. He is the author of Secret Trades, Porous Borders: Smuggling and States along a Southeast Asian Frontier, 1865-1915
Table of Contents
Part I: Charting the Hajj over the Centuries
1. Ancient Footsteps: Southeast Asia's Earliest Muslim Pilgrims
2. Mecca's Tidal Pull: The Red Sea and Its Worlds
3. Financing Devotion: The Economics of the Pre-Moden Hajj
4. Sultanate and Crescent: Religion and Politics in the Indian Ocean
Part II: The Hajj through Four Colonial Windows
5. In Conrad's Wake: Lord Jim, the "Patna," and the Hajj
6. A Medical Mountain: Health Maintenance and Disease Control on the Hajj
7. The Skeptic's Eye: Snouck Hurgronje and the Politics of Pilgrimage
8. The Jeddah Consulates: Colonial Espionage in the Hejaz
Part III Making the Hajj "Modern"
9. Regulating the Flood: The Hajj and the Independent Nation-State
10. On the Margins of Islam: Hajjis from Outside Southeast Asia's "Islamic Arc"
11. "I was the Guest of Allah": Hajj Memoirs and Writings from Southeast Asia
12. Remembering Devotion: Oral History and the Pilgrimage