Only one copy
in stock at this price.
from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The Longman Academic Reading Series is a five-level series that prepares English language learners for academic work. The aim of the series is to make students more effective and confident readers by providing high-interest readings on academic subjects and by teaching them skills and strategies for effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking. The series also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, making them better speakers and writers of English as well.
- Readings based on academic sources — Every reading in the text focuses on an academic subject and is chosen with the intent of providing different and intriguing perspectives on the theme.
- Multiple reading genres — Readings come from a variety of sources or genres, from textbooks to on-line articles, and are written by a variety of experts from widely different fields.
- Explicit academic skills — From critical reading to vocabulary building, notetaking and critical thinking, the Longman Academic Reading Series provides students with a holistic approach to effective reading.
- Corpus-Informed approach to vocabulary (AWL) — Students build vocabulary and acquire skills that will help them become more confident and successful in preparing for their academic work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 CULTURAL STUDIES: The Lessons of Travel
Reading One Tony the Traveller
Reading Two The Benefits of Studying Abroad
Reading Three The Way of St. James: A Modern-Day Pilgrimage
Chapter 2 MULTICULTURAL LITERACY: Writing About Cultural Identity
Reading One Mangoes and Magnolias
Reading Two Poems about Personal Identity
Reading Three Book Review of Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction about the Multiracial Experience
Chapter 3 HEALTH SCIENCE: High Tech, Low Tech, No Tech
Reading One Robots Improve Health Care, Helping Doctors, Nurses, and Patients
Reading Two A Simple Diagnosis
Reading Three Water is Shown to Help People Lose Weight
Chapter 4 EDUCATION: The Task of the Teacher
Reading One Bloom's Taxonomy
Reading Two The Mayonnaise Jar and Two Cups of Coffee
Reading Three A Teacher's Lasting Impression
Chapter 5 PSYCHOLOGY: Theories of Intelligence
Reading One Types of Intelligence
Reading Two Transforming Students' Motivation to Learn
Reading Three The Extraordinary Abilities of Daniel Tammet
Chapter 6 BUSINESS: The Changing Workplace
Reading One The One Week Job: 52 Jobs in 52 Weeks
Reading Two Flip Flops and Facebook Breaks: Millennials Enter the Workplace
Reading Three Eight Keys to Employability
Chapter 7 MATH: Developing a Love of the "Language of Science"
Reading One A Mathematician's Lament
Reading Two What's Wrong with Math Education?
Reading Three Angels on a Pin
Chapter 8 PUBLIC SPEAKING: Messages and Messengers
Reading One The Power of Public Speech
Reading Two The Best Way to Structure a Speech
Reading Three Famous American Speeches
Chapter 9 PEACE STUDIES: The Change Makers
Reading One Social Entrepreneurship
Reading Two A Poverty-Free World
Reading Three The Barefoot College
Chapter 10 URBAN STUDIES: Living Together
Reading One City Fact Sheet
Reading Two The Future of Cities
Reading Three Won't You Be My Neighbor?