Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The Longman Academic Reading Series is a five-level series that prepares English language learners for academic work. The aim of the series is to make students more effective and confident readers by providing high-interest readings on academic subjects and by teaching them skills and strategies for effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking. The series also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, making them better speakers and writers of English as well.
- Readings based on academic sources — Every reading in the text focuses on an academic subject and is chosen with the intent of providing different and intriguing perspectives on the theme.
- Multiple reading genres — Readings come from a variety of sources or genres, from textbooks to on-line articles, and are written by a variety of experts from widely different fields.
- Explicit academic skills — From critical reading to vocabulary building, notetaking and critical thinking, the Longman Academic Reading Series provides students with a holistic approach to effective reading.
- Corpus-Informed approach to vocabulary (AWL) — Students build vocabulary and acquire skills that will help them become more confident and successful in preparing for their academic work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 CULTURAL STUDIES: The Lessons of Travel
Reading One Tony the Traveller
Reading Two The Benefits of Studying Abroad
Reading Three The Way of St. James: A Modern-Day Pilgrimage
Chapter 2 MULTICULTURAL LITERACY: Writing About Cultural Identity
Reading One Mangoes and Magnolias
Reading Two Poems about Personal Identity
Reading Three Book Review of Mixed: An Anthology of Short Fiction about the Multiracial Experience
Chapter 3 HEALTH SCIENCE: High Tech, Low Tech, No Tech
Reading One Robots Improve Health Care, Helping Doctors, Nurses, and Patients
Reading Two A Simple Diagnosis
Reading Three Water is Shown to Help People Lose Weight
Chapter 4 EDUCATION: The Task of the Teacher
Reading One Bloom's Taxonomy
Reading Two The Mayonnaise Jar and Two Cups of Coffee
Reading Three A Teacher's Lasting Impression
Chapter 5 PSYCHOLOGY: Theories of Intelligence
Reading One Types of Intelligence
Reading Two Transforming Students' Motivation to Learn
Reading Three The Extraordinary Abilities of Daniel Tammet
Chapter 6 BUSINESS: The Changing Workplace
Reading One The One Week Job: 52 Jobs in 52 Weeks
Reading Two Flip Flops and Facebook Breaks: Millennials Enter the Workplace
Reading Three Eight Keys to Employability
Chapter 7 MATH: Developing a Love of the "Language of Science"
Reading One A Mathematician's Lament
Reading Two What's Wrong with Math Education?
Reading Three Angels on a Pin
Chapter 8 PUBLIC SPEAKING: Messages and Messengers
Reading One The Power of Public Speech
Reading Two The Best Way to Structure a Speech
Reading Three Famous American Speeches
Chapter 9 PEACE STUDIES: The Change Makers
Reading One Social Entrepreneurship
Reading Two A Poverty-Free World
Reading Three The Barefoot College
Chapter 10 URBAN STUDIES: Living Together
Reading One City Fact Sheet
Reading Two The Future of Cities
Reading Three Won't You Be My Neighbor?