from Private Sellers
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The Longman Academic Reading Series is a five-level series that prepares English language learners for academic work. The aim of the series is to make students more effective and confident readers by providing high-interest readings on academic subjects and by teaching them skills and strategies for effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking. The series also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, making them better speakers and writers of English as well.
- Readings based on academic sources — Every reading in the text focuses on an academic subject and is chosen with the intent of providing different and intriguing perspectives on the theme.
- Multiple reading genres — Readings come from a variety of sources or genres, from textbooks to on-line articles, and are written by a variety of experts from widely different fields.
- Explicit academic skills — From critical reading to vocabulary building, notetaking and critical thinking, the Longman Academic Reading Series provides students with a holistic approach to effective reading.
- Corpus-Informed approach to vocabulary (AWL) — Students build vocabulary and acquire skills that will help them become more confident and successful in preparing for their academic work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 BUSINESS: Steve Jobs, Innovator and CEO
Reading One The Extraordinary Life of Steve Jobs
Reading Two The Pixar Story
Reading Three The Map of Innovation
Chapter 2 PSYCHOLOGY: Fear and Phobias
Reading One When Does a Fear Become a Phobia?
Reading Two Case Studies
Reading Three Treatments for Phobias
Chapter 3 NUTRITION STUDIES: Food Rules
Reading One An Interview with Michael Pollan
Reading Two Bad Food? Tax It, and Subsudize Vegetables
Reading Three Humane Treatment of Animals We Eat
Chapter 4 MEDICINE: Pioneers and Heroes
Reading One The Hippocratic Oath -- A Modern Version
Reading Two The Invisible Enemy
Reading Three That Mothers Might Live
Chapter 5 AMERICAN LITERATURE: Ernest Hemingway's "Indian Camp"
Reading One Indian Camp -- Part I
Reading Two Indian Camp -- Part II
Reading Three Hemingway's Style
Chapter 6 ART HISTORY: The Life and Letters of Vincent Van Gogh
Reading One A Biography of Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)
Reading Two The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh
Reading Three Portrait of Dr. Gachet: A Timeline
Chapter 7 FORENSICS: Science and Fiction
Reading One Basic Pinciples of Forensics
Reading Two The "CSI Effect" Is a Mixed Blessing for Real Crime Labs
Reading Three The Forensic Use of DNA
Chapter 8 PREHISTORY: From Wolf to Dog
Reading One More Than Man's Best Friend
Reading Two Domesticating Wolves
Reading Three Frisky to the Rescue in Hurricane Katrina
Chapter 9 EDUCATION STUDIES: Overcoming Inequalitieis
Reading One Savage Inequalities: Children in American Schools
Reading Two The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Reading Three Where I Learned to Read
Chapter 10 SOCIOLOGY: Crime and Punishment
Reading One The Global Context
Reading Two Socological Theories of Crime
Reading Three Prison Programs That Work