Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The Longman Academic Reading Series is a five-level series that prepares English language learners for academic work. The aim of the series is to make students more effective and confident readers by providing high-interest readings on academic subjects and by teaching them skills and strategies for effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking. The series also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, making them better speakers and writers of English as well.
- Readings based on academic sources — Every reading in the text focuses on an academic subject and is chosen with the intent of providing different and intriguing perspectives on the theme.
- Multiple reading genres — Readings come from a variety of sources or genres, from textbooks to on-line articles, and are written by a variety of experts from widely different fields.
- Explicit academic skills — From critical reading to vocabulary building, notetaking and critical thinking, the Longman Academic Reading Series provides students with a holistic approach to effective reading.
- Corpus-Informed approach to vocabulary (AWL) — Students build vocabulary and acquire skills that will help them become more confident and successful in preparing for their academic work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 BUSINESS: Steve Jobs, Innovator and CEO
Reading One The Extraordinary Life of Steve Jobs
Reading Two The Pixar Story
Reading Three The Map of Innovation
Chapter 2 PSYCHOLOGY: Fear and Phobias
Reading One When Does a Fear Become a Phobia?
Reading Two Case Studies
Reading Three Treatments for Phobias
Chapter 3 NUTRITION STUDIES: Food Rules
Reading One An Interview with Michael Pollan
Reading Two Bad Food? Tax It, and Subsudize Vegetables
Reading Three Humane Treatment of Animals We Eat
Chapter 4 MEDICINE: Pioneers and Heroes
Reading One The Hippocratic Oath -- A Modern Version
Reading Two The Invisible Enemy
Reading Three That Mothers Might Live
Chapter 5 AMERICAN LITERATURE: Ernest Hemingway's "Indian Camp"
Reading One Indian Camp -- Part I
Reading Two Indian Camp -- Part II
Reading Three Hemingway's Style
Chapter 6 ART HISTORY: The Life and Letters of Vincent Van Gogh
Reading One A Biography of Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890)
Reading Two The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh
Reading Three Portrait of Dr. Gachet: A Timeline
Chapter 7 FORENSICS: Science and Fiction
Reading One Basic Pinciples of Forensics
Reading Two The "CSI Effect" Is a Mixed Blessing for Real Crime Labs
Reading Three The Forensic Use of DNA
Chapter 8 PREHISTORY: From Wolf to Dog
Reading One More Than Man's Best Friend
Reading Two Domesticating Wolves
Reading Three Frisky to the Rescue in Hurricane Katrina
Chapter 9 EDUCATION STUDIES: Overcoming Inequalitieis
Reading One Savage Inequalities: Children in American Schools
Reading Two The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Reading Three Where I Learned to Read
Chapter 10 SOCIOLOGY: Crime and Punishment
Reading One The Global Context
Reading Two Socological Theories of Crime
Reading Three Prison Programs That Work