Only one copy
in stock at this price.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to inclue any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The Longman Academic Reading Series is a five-level series that prepares English language learners for academic work. The aim of the series is to make students more effective and confident readers by providing high-interest readings on academic subjects and by teaching them skills and strategies for effective reading, vocabulary building, note-taking, and critical thinking. The series also encourages students to discuss and write about the ideas they discovered in the readings, making them better speakers and writers of English as well.
- Readings based on academic sources — Every reading in the text focuses on an academic subject and is chosen with the intent of providing different and intriguing perspectives on the theme.
- Multiple reading genres — Readings come from a variety of sources or genres, from textbooks to on-line articles, and are written by a variety of experts from widely different fields.
- Explicit academic skills — From critical reading to vocabulary building, notetaking and critical thinking, the Longman Academic Reading Series provides students with a holistic approach to effective reading.
- Corpus-Informed approach to vocabulary (AWL) — Students build vocabulary and acquire skills that will help them become more confident and successful in preparing for their academic work.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 SOCIOLOGY: How We Become Who We Are
Reading One Becoming a Person
Reading Two The Birth of Personality
Reading Three Agents of Socialization
Chapter 2 ART HISTORY: Origins of Modern Art
Reading One Breaking with Tradition: The Begiinnings of Modernism
Reading Two Post-Impressionism
Reading Three Abstract Expressionism
Chapter 3 ANTHROPOLOGY: The Study of Human Cultures
Reading One The Challenge of Defining Culture
Reading Two The Nature of Foraging and Horticultural Societies
Reading Three Night Flying Woman: An Ojibway Narrative
Chapter 4 SCIENCE: Human Achievements over Time
Reading One A Great Human Endeavor: Building the Gothic Cathedrals
Reading Two From Stone to Satellite: Finding Our Way
Reading Three Reaching for the Stars: The 100-Year Starship Project
Chapter 5 POLITICAL SCIENCE: Managing Hard Times
Reading One The Great Depression: A Nation in Crisis
Reading Two The Works Progress Administration and the Federal Arts Project
Reading Three An Artist's Perspective on the Federal Arts Project
Chapter 6 HEALTH SCIENCES: Medical Mysteries Solved
Reading One Solving a Deadly Puzzle
Reading Two Imprisoned without a Trial: The Story of Typhoid Mary
Reading Three The Discovery of a Miracle Drug
Chapter 7 LITERATURE: Storytelling through Poetry
Reading One Themes and Characters in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Reading Two The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Reading Three The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (continued)
Chapter 8 HISTORY: Encountering New Worlds
Reading One Europe on the Eve of Conquest
Reading Two Native American Histories before the Conquest
Reading Three West Africa at the Time of European Exploration
Chapter 9 BUSINESS: Ethical Issues
Reading One Promoting Ethics in the Workplace
Reading Two Ethical Reasoning
Reading Three Should Mary Buy Her Bonus?
Chapter 10 MIGRATION STUDIES: In Search of a New Life
Reading One Human Migration
Reading Two The Westward Journey: A Personal Perspective
Reading Three Wooden Trunk from Buchenwald