Organized historically and augmented by more than 400 cartoons designed to make teaching and learning more fun, this lighthearted work born of serious scholarship can be used as a core text or as a supplement in introductory courses.
Table of Contents
1. THE PRE-SOCRATIC PHILOSOPHERS: SIXTH AND FIFTH CENTURIES B.C.E.
2. THE ATHENIAN PERIOD: FIFTH AND FOURTH CENTURIES B.C.E.
The Sophists: Protagoras, Gorgias, Thrasymachus, Callicles and Critias / Socrates / Plato / Aristotle
3. THE HELLENISTIC AND ROMAN PERIODS: FOURTH CENTURY B.C.E THROUGH FOURTH CENTURY C.E.
Epicureanism / Stoicism / Neoplatonism
4. MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE PHILOSOPHY: FIFTH THROUGH THE FIFTEENTH CENTURIES
Saint Augustine / The Encyclopediasts / John Scotus Eriugena / Saint Anselm / Muslim and Jewish Philosophies: Averroës, Maimonides / The Problem of Faith and Reason / The Problem of Universals / Saint Thomas Aquinas / William of Ockham
5. CONTINENTAL RATIONALISM AND BRITISH EMPIRICISM: THE SEVENTEENTH AND EIGHTEENTH CENTURIES