Each chapter includes “Background” , “Summary” and “Discussion Questions.”
1. Introducing Sheltered Instruction.
Teacher Preparation and School Reform.
Changes in Instructional Practice.
The Sheltered Instruction Approach.
A Model for Sheltered Instruction.
Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol.
Overview of Chapters.
Using the SIOP: Getting Started.
2. Indicators of Lesson Preparation.
Adaptation of Content.
3. Indicators of Instruction: Building Background.
Concepts Linked to Students' Background.
Links Made between Past Learning and New Concepts.
Key Vocabulary Emphasized.
4. Indicators of Instruction: Comprehensible Input.
Appropriate Speech for ELLs.
Explanation of Academic Tasks.
Use of Techniques.
5. Indicators of Instruction: Strategies.
6. Indicators of Instruction: Interaction.
Opportunities for Interaction.
Clarifying Key Concepts in L1.
7. Indicators of Instruction: Practice/Application.
Hands-On Materials and/or Manipulatives for Practice.
Application of Content and Language Knowledge.
Integration of Language Skills.
8. Indicators of Instruction: Lesson Delivery.
9. Indicators of Review/Assessment.
Review of Key Vocabulary.
Review of Key Content Concepts.
Assessment of Lesson Objectives.
10. Scoring and Interpretation of the SIOP.
How to Score the SIOP.
Using SIOP Scores.
Reliability and Validity of the SIOP.
Appendix A: Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) and Abbreviated SIOP.
Appendix B: SIOP Lesson Planning Guide.
Appendix C: Reliability and Validity Study of the SIOP.