Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
Why should I rent this book?
How do rental returns work?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Table of Contents
Ethical Foundations and Perspectives
part 1 News
Chapter 1 Institutional Pressures
1. Fox News
2. Access to the Internet
3. Bankruptcy at the Philadelphia Inquirer
4. The Wichita Experiment
Chapter 2 Truthtelling
5. Obesity Epidemic
6. Al Jazeera
7. The Unabomber’s Manifesto
8. Muhammad Cartoon Controversy
Chapter 3 Reporters and Sources
19. WikiLeaks Website
10. Stolen Voice Mail
11. Covering the Middle East
12. Risky Foods
13. Watergate and Grand Jury Information
Chapter 4 Social Justice
14. Crisis in Darfur
15. “A Hidden America: Children of the Mountains”
16. Sexism and World Cup Soccer
17. Ten Weeks at Wounded Knee
Chapter 5 Invasion of Privacy
18. Facebook and Social Media Networks
19. The Controversial PATRIOT Act
20. Bloggers’ Code of Ethics
21. A Prostitute on Page 12
22. Dead Body Photo 118
The Heart of the Matter in News Ethics
part 2 Persuasion in Advertising
Chapter 6 The Commercialization of Everyday Life
23. Is That an Ad? Are You Sure?
24. Prescription Drugs as Consumer Products
25. Shopping to Save the World
26. Consumer-Generated Content: An Ethical Dilemma?
Chapter 7 Advertising in an Image-Based Culture
27. Making the Same Different: Branding
28. Stereotyping Attitude
29. Everyone Knows Her: the Unattainable Ideal
30. But She’s Only 4! The Hypersexualization of Young Girls
31. Real Beauty: Responsible Images?
32. Animal Rights: Responsible Images?
Chapter 8 The Media Are Commercial
33. Marketing U.S. Latinidad
34. Media Gatekeepers: “Sorry, no admittance”
35. Shocking: The Case for Due Diligence
36. Front Page for Sale: Advertising and Editorial Content
37. “How Did You Know”?: The Ethics of Behavioral Targeting
Chapter 9 Advertising’s Professional Culture
38. “…perhaps an absence of an ethics code”?
39. Ethical Vision: What Does It Mean to Serve a Client Well?
40. Kids Are Getting Older Younger: Advertising to Children
41. A Woman’s Place is…?
42. A Diverse Advertising Workplace: An Oxymoron?
The Heart of the Matter in Advertising Ethics
part 3 Persuasion and Public Relations
Chapter 10 Public Communication
43. What Happened to Mr. Ethics?
44. Publicity and Justice
45. Friends of the Candidate
46. A Campaign Pioneer?
Chapter 11 Telling the Truth in Organizational Settings
47. Private Issues, Public Apologies
48. Wal-Marting Across the Internet
49. Who’s the Boss?
50. “This News Story Is Brought to You By . . .”
51. Posting #Truth @Twitter
Chapter 12 Conflicting Loyalties
52. New Clients
53. Indictments Indicate Corrupt Lobbying
54. Accelerated Recalls?
55. Tragedy at the Mine
56. Thank You for Smoking
Chapter 13 The Demands of Social Responsibility
57. One for One: Helping Consumers Become Heroes
58. Celebrities Promote “Hope for Haiti Now”
59. Pepsi Challenged by Rumors
60. Swept Away in the Storm
The Heart of the Matter in Public Relations Ethics
part 4 Entertainment
Chapter 14 Violence
61. Hear It, Feel It, Do It
63. Comics for Big Kids
64. They Play to Kill
Chapter 15 Profits, Wealth, and Public Trust
65. Copyright Wars
66. Deep Trouble for Harry
67. Super Strip
68. Superman Walks Again
69. Duct Tape for Television
Chapter 16 Media Scope and Depth
70. Reel History
71. They Call It Paradise
72. Tragedy Lite
73. South Park’s 200th
74. Video Game Rage
Chapter 17 Censorship
75. The Voice of America
76. Fencing the Net
77. Frontal Assault
78. Rescue Us
The Heart of the Matter in Entertainment Ethics