Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
Patricia Skinner is currently a Research Associate at Swansea University, having taken a career break, and was previously Reader in Medieval History at the University of Southampton. She has published widely in the field of Italian medieval social history, with particular interests in the histories of women and minority groups, medicine and family structures. She is currently working on a history of facial mutilation in the middle ages.
Table of Contents
Part I: Amalfi
1. The Problem of Information
2. Setting the Scene: Landscape and Urban Settlements
3. Inhabiting Amalfi: the Structures of Society
4. Exploiting Amalfi: Land, Production, and Enterprise
5. Religious life: Church and Community
6. Ruling Amalfi: the Components of Power
Part II: Amalfitans
7. Families and the Ties of Kinship
8. Leaving the City: the Amalfitan Diaspora in Italy
9. Leaving Italy: Amalfitans in the Eastern Mediterranean
10. Expanding Horizons: Amalfitans in the Western Mediterranean
Conclusion: Challenging the Dichotomy
Appendix I: The Rulers of Amalfi, 839-1250