The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included. This is true even if the title states it includes any access cards, study guides, lab manuals, CDs, etc.
Though he lived in the thirteenth century, Meister Eckhart’s deeply ecumenical teachings were in many ways modern. He taught about what we call ecology, championed artistic creativity, and advocated for social, economic, and gender justice. All these elements have inspired spiritual maverick Matthew Fox and influenced his Creation Spirituality. Here, Fox creates metaphorical meetings between Eckhart and Teilhard de Chardin, Thich Nhat Hanh, Carl Jung, Black Elk, Rumi, Adrienne Rich, and other radical thinkers. The result is profoundly insightful, substantive, and inspiring.
Matthew Fox, a preeminent scholar and popularizer of Western mysticism, became an Episcopal priest after being expelled from the Catholic Church by Cardinal Ratzinger, who later became Pope Benedict XVI. Fox teaches and speaks widely and lives in Oakland, CA.
Table of Contents
1. The God of Awe, Wonder, and Radical Amazement: Meister Eckhart Meets Rabbi Heschel
2. The Christ of the Earth and Cosmos: Meister Eckhart Meets Teilhard de Chardin and Thomas Berry
3. The Apophatic Divinity: Meister Eckhart meets Buddhism via Thich Nhat Hahn and the Dalai Lama
4.The Divine Feminine: Meister Eckhart Meets Adrienne Rich
5. Liberated and Liberating Sisters: Meister Eckhart Meets Dorothee Soelle, the Beguines Mechtild of Magdeburg and Marguerite Porret, and Julian of Norwich
6. The Historical Jesus: Meister Eckhart Meets Marcus Borg, Bruce Chilton and John Dominic Crossan
7. Depth Psychology: Meister Eckhart Meets Carl Jung
8. Creativity as Psychotherapy: Meister Eckhart Meets Otto Rank
9. Wisdom of Hinduism: Meister Eckhart Meets the Upanishads and the Vedas via Ananda Coomaraswamy and Father Bede Griffiths
10. Eckhart as Sufi: Meister Eckhart Meets Rumi, Hafiz and Ibn Arabi
11. Indigenous Wisdom and Shamanism: Meister Eckhart Meets the Dreamtime, Black Elk, Mircea Eliade, Bill Everson and Robinson Jeffers
12. Warriors for Economic Justice: Meister Eckhart Meets David Korten and Anita Roddick
13. Warriors for a Deeper Education: Meister Eckhart Meets M.C. Richards, Yellawe, Lily Yeh and Theodore Richards