Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Stephen Mumford is Professor of Metaphysics in the Department of Philosophy and Dean of the Faculty of Arts at the University of Nottingham, UK. He is the author of Dispositions (OUP, 1998), Russell on Metaphysics (Routledge, 2003), Laws in Nature (Routledge, 2004), David Armstrong (Acumen, 2007), Watching Sport: Aesthetics, Ethics and Emotions (Routledge, 2011), and Getting Causes from Powers (OUP, 2011) with Rani Lill Anjum). He was editor of George Molnar's posthumous Powers: a Study in Metaphysics (OUP, 2003).
Matthew Tugby is Teaching Fellow at the University of Birmingham. Previously, he worked as Doctoral Researcher on the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council's Metaphysics of Science Project, based at the University of Nottingham. He has since published on the topic of dispositions and works on a range of issues at the intersection of metaphysics and the philosophy of science.
Table of Contents
1. What is the Metaphysics of Science?, Stephen Mumford and Matthew Tugby
Part I: Laws
2. Measurement, Laws, and Counterfactuals, John Roberts
3. Laws, Causes, and Invariance, Jim Woodward
4. How to Explain the Lorentz Transformations, Marc Lange
Part II: Dispositions and Causes
5. A Disposition-based Process-theory of Causation, Andreas Huttemann
6. How to Activate a Power, Jennifer McKitrick
Part III: Natural Kinds
7. How to Carve Across the Joint in Nature without Abandoning Kripke-Putnam Semantics, Helen Beebee
8. Are Natural Kinds and Natural Properties Distinct?, Emma Tobin
9. Realism about Structures and Kinds, Laurie Paul
Part IV: Emergence
10. Nonlinearity and Metaphysical Emergence, Jessica Wilson