Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
Note:┐You are purchasing a standalone product; MasteringMicrobiology does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase┐both┐the physical text and MasteringMicrobiology search for ISBN-10: 032191838X / ISBN-13: 9780321918383. That package includes ISBN-10: 032191855X /ISBN-13: 9780321918550 and ISBN-10: 0321943708 / ISBN-13: 9780321943705.
MasteringMicrobiology is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.┐
For pre-nursing and allied health students (including mixed-majors courses).
Explore the invisible
Robert Bauman’s Microbiology with Diseases by Body System, Fourth Edition retains the hallmark art program and clear writing style that have made his books so successful. The Fourth Edition encourages you to visualize the invisible with new QR codes linking to 18 Video Tutors and 6 Disease in Depth features that motivate you to interact with microbiology content and explore microbiology further. The continued focus on real-world clinical situations prepares you for future opportunities in applied practice and healthcare careers. A more robust MasteringMicrobiology® program works with the text to provide an interactive learning and personalized experience that ensures you learn microbiology both in and out of the classroom.
Microbiology with Diseases by Body System Plus MasteringMicrobiology provides an enhanced learning experience. This program provides the ability to:
- Personalize learning with MasteringMicrobiology: MasteringMicrobiology coaches you through the toughest microbiology topics. Engaging tools help you visualize, practice, and understand crucial content.
- Think outside the classroom: QR codes in the textbook enable you to use your smartphone or tablet to instantly interact with Dr. Bauman in step-by-step tutorials and explore important developments in microbiology news and research.
- Focus on critical thinking: Case studies and engaging activities improve your ability to solve problems by keeping you interested.
- Teach tough topics with superior art: Outstanding art integration through video tutorials, illustrations, and micrographs enables you to absorb and retain difficult microbiology concepts.┐
Robert W. Bauman holds a Ph.D. in Biology from Stanford University, an M.A. in Botany from the University of Texas at Austin, and a B.A. in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin. He is a full professor of biology in the Department of Biological Sciences at Amarillo College in Amarillo, Texas, where he previously served as department chair. He has been teaching microbiology and human anatomy and physiology since 1988, and was a recipient of the John. F. Mead Faculty Excellence Award, nominated by the students of Amarillo College. Dr. Bauman is an active member of the American Society of Microbiology (ASM), Texas Community College Teacher’s Association (TCCTA), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS).
Table of Contents
2. The Chemistry of Microbiology
3. Cell Structure and Function
4. Microscopy, Staining, and Classification
5. Microbial Metabolism
6. Microbial Nutrition and Growth
7. Microbial Genetics
8. Recombinant DNA Technology
9. Controlling Microbial Growth in the Environment
10. Controlling Microbial Growth in the Body: Antimicrobial Drugs
11. Characterizing and Classifying Prokaryotes
12. Characterizing and Classifying Eukaryotes
13. Characterizing and Classifying Viruses, Viroids, and Prions
14. Infection, Infectious Diseases, and Epidemiology
15. Innate Immunity
16. Adaptive Immunity
17. Immunization and Immune Testing
18. AIDS and Other Immune Disorders
19. Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Wounds
20. Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System and Eyes
21. Microbial Cardiovascular and Systemic Diseases
22. Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System
23. Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System
24. Microbial Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
25. Applied and Environmental Microbiology