Questions About This Book?
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
Robert W. Bauman holds a Ph.D. in Biology from Stanford University, an M.A. in Botany from the University of Texas at Austin, and a B.A. in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin. He is a full professor of biology in the Department of Biological Sciences at Amarillo College in Amarillo, Texas, where he previously served as department chair. He has been teaching microbiology and human anatomy and physiology since 1988. In 2004, the students of Amarillo College selected Dr. Bauman as the recipient of the John F. Mead Faculty Excellence Award.
His research interests have included the morphology and ecology of freshwater algae, the cell biology of marine algae (particularly the deposition of cell walls and intercellular communication), and environmentally triggered chromogenesis in butterflies. His dissertation research at Stanford was on intercellular and cell growth in red algae at the Hopkins Marine Station.
Robert Bauman is the author of another microbiology textbook at Benjamin Cummings, Microbiology with Diseases by Taxonomy, Third Edition (Copyright 2011). He is an active member of the American Society of Microbiology (ASM) and Texas Community College Teacher’s Association (TCCTA).
Table of Contents
1. A Brief History of Microbiology
2. The Chemistry of Microbiology
3. Cell Structure and Function
4. Microscopy, Staining, and Classification
5. Microbial Metabolism
6. Microbial Nutrition and Growth
7. Microbial Genetics
8. Recombinant DNA Technology
9. Controlling Microbial Growth in the Environment
10. Controlling Microbial Growth in the Body: Antimicrobial Drugs
11. Characterizing and Classifying Prokaryotes
12. Characterizing and Classifying Eukaryotes
13. Characterizing and Classifying Viruses, Viroids, and Prions
14. Infection, Infectious Diseases, and Epidemiology
15. Innate Immunity
16. Adaptive Immunity
17. Immunization and Immune Testing
18. AIDS and Other Immune Disorders
19. Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Wounds
20. Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System and Eyes
21. Microbial Cardiovascular and Systemic Diseases
22. Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System
23. Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System
24. Microbial Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems
25. Applied and Environmental Microbiology