Your order must be $59 or more to qualify for free economy shipping. Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace items, eBooks and apparel do not qualify for this offer.
Get Rewarded for Ordering Your Textbooks!Enroll Now
Customer ReviewsRead Reviews
Write a Review
List Price: $155.60
With every new edition, the No. 1 best-selling non-majors microbiology book wins over readers with its careful balance of concepts and applications, art that teaches, and its straightforward presentation of complex topics. For Microbiology: An Introduction,Eighth Edition, this successful formula has been refined with hundreds of research and disease updates, updated morbidity data, and an enhanced Mircobiology Place Website and CD-ROM. For college instructors, students, or anyone interested in microbiology.
Table of Contents
I. FUNDAMENTALS OF MICROBIOLOGY.
1. The Microbial World and You. 2. Chemical Principles. 3. Observing Microorganisms Through a Microscope. 4. Functional Anatomy of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells. 5. Microbial Metabolism. 6. Microbial Growth. 7. The Control of Microbial Growth. 8. Microbial Genetics. 9. Biotechnology and Recombinant DNA.
II. A SURVEY OF THE MICROBIAL WORLD.
10. Classification of Microorganisms. 11. The Prokaryotes: Domains Bacteria and Archaea. 12. The Eukaryotes: Fungi, Algae, Protozoa, and Helminths. 13. Viruses, Viroids, and Prions.
III. INTERACTION BETWEEN MICROBE AND HOST.
14. Principles of Disease and Epidemiology. 15. Microbial Mechanisms of Pathogenicity. 16. Nonspecific Defenses of the Host. 17. Specific Defenses of the Host: The Immune Response. 18. Practical Applications of Immunology. 19. Disorders Associated with the Immune System. 20. Antimicrobial Drugs.
IV. MICROORGANISMS AND HUMAN DISEASE.
21. Microbial Diseases of the Skin and Eyes. 22. Microbial Diseases of the Nervous System. 23. Microbial Diseases of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems. 24. Microbial Diseases of the Respiratory System. 25. Microbial Diseases of the Digestive System. 26. Microbial Diseases of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems.
V. ENVIRONMENTAL AND APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY.
27. Environmental Microbiology. 28. Applied and Industrial Microbiology.