Note: Supplemental materials are not guaranteed with Rental or Used book purchases.
What is included with this book?
The only Windows 7 book designed specifically for IT and serious power users: deep technical coverage, no hand-holding!
Presents tweaks, hacks, network setup tricks, and troubleshooting help that can't be found in any other Windows book.
Insider details, undocumented features, powerful tools, and deep insights, all designed to help sophisticated users become dramatically more effective.
All-new interior design and exterior packaging makeover gives the Unleashed series a fresh, compelling new look.
Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed is the only textbook that gives IT professionals, serious power users, and true geeks exactly what they need: powerhouse tweaks, hacks, techniques, and insights that can't be found anywhere else.
This textbook has over 700+ pages (and 30+ chapters) of information that anyone can use to install, set up, network and secure Windows 7 on their PC
Top Windows expert Paul McFedries - one of PTG's most respected authors - dives deep into Windows 7, returning with the most powerful ways to handle everything from networking to administration, security to scripting.
McFedries begins with advanced customization -- covering everything from startup/shutdown to the file system. Readers will learn new ways to tune Windows 7 performance; police Windows via Group Policies; tweak the Registry; make the most of Windows 7's management tools; and control Windows 7 from the command line.
Next, McFedries presents thorough coverage of securing Windows 7, including chapters on web and email security, and hardening networks. Readers will learn better ways to troubleshoot devices, networks, and startup; add Macs to Windows networks; and much more.
The book concludes with three chapters of indispensable scripting techniques for automating Windows administration.
Important note: Microsoft Windows 7 In Depth and Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed are radically different books, with differing markets.
Microsoft Windows In Depth is for a broad spectrum of intermediate-level end users. Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed is for IT pros and power users; it focuses on advanced technical coverage of topics such as Registry hacks.
This book is packed with expert tips, tricks, and troubleshooting techniques drawn from McFedries’ unsurpassed Windows experience. If you want maximum value and performance from your Windows 7 PCs, you won’t find a more valuable resource.
Part I. Unleashing Windows 7 Customization
1. Customizing Windows Explorer
2. Customizing Internet Explorer
3. Customizing the File System
4. Customizing Startup and Shutdown
5. Customizing the Start Menu and Taskbar
Part II. Unleashing Windows 7 Performance and Maintenance
6. Tuning Windows 7's Performance
7. Maintaining Your Windows 7 System
Part III. Unleashing Windows 7 Power User Tools
8. Controlling Windows 7 with Control Panel
9. Policing Windows 7 with Group Policies
10. Configuring the Microsoft Management Console
11. Controlling Services
12. Tweaking the Windows 7 Registry
13. Controlling Windows 7 from the Command Line
Part IV. Unleashing Windows 7 Security
14. Securing Windows 7
15. Configuring Web Security
16. Implementing Email Security
17. Securing the File System
18. Setting Up User Security
19. Implementing Network Security
20. Tightening Wireless Network Security
Part V. Unleashing Windows 7 Troubleshooting
21. Troubleshooting and Recovering from Problems
22. Troubleshooting Devices
23. Troubleshooting Startup
24. Troubleshooting Networking
Part VI. Unleashing Windows 7 Networking
25. Setting Up a Small Network
26. Accessing and Using Your Network
27. Making Remote Network Connections
28. Turning Windows 7 Into a Web Server
29. Adding Macs to Your Windows 7 Network
Part VII. Unleashing Windows 7 Scripting
30. Programming the Windows Scripting Host
31. Programming Windows PowerShell