Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
Table of Contents
1. Film Structure.
Elements of Film Structure.
Structure and the Camera.
Structural Design and Creative Choice.
The Camera and Human Perception: Cinema's Dual Capability.
Collaboration and Previsualization.
The Essentials of Cinematography.
Cinematography and the Digital Domain.
Visual Style and Design Quotations.
3. Production Design.
What the Production Designer Does.
Basic Tools of Production Design.
The Design Concept.
Production Design and Special Effects.
Acting in Film and Theater.
Categories of Film Performers.
Method and Technical Approaches to Performing.
The Performer as an Element of Visual Design.
Performance, Emotion, and the Viewer’s Response.
5. Editing: Making the Cut.
What Is Editing?
Linear and Nonlinear Systems.
Functions of Editing.
The Principles of Continuity Editing.
Alternatives to Continuity Editing.
6. Principles of Sound Design.
Sound in Contemporary Film.
Evolution of Film Sound.
Types of Sound.
7. The Nature of Narrative in Film.
Story and Script.
The Turn to Narrative in Early Film History.
Elements of Narrative.
The Classical Hollywood Narrative.
The Viewer's Contribution to Narrative.
8. Visual Effects
A Composited Medium
The Hollywood Era
The Digital Era
Narrative and Spectacle
9. Modes of Screen Reality.
Fantasy and the Fantastic.
10. At the Crossroads of Art and Business.
From Large Screens to Small.
The Art of Film Era.
The Global Dominance of Hollywood.
International Influence of Hollywood Style.
11. Film Theory and Criticism
Women in Film