This supplemental text presents cultural differences relevant to all caregiving settings (day care, nursery, and preschool programs). Daily caregiving routines and objectives are stressed throughout, with emphasis given to the practical and immediate concerns of the caregiver. The book promotes sensitivity, communication, and problem solving as keys to providing what children need according to their individual development, their parents’ beliefs, and the beliefs of the caregiver. Learning to communicate across cultures, even when a common language is not shared, is emphasized.
Table of Contents
1. Perceiving and Responding to Differences
2. Communicating Across Cultures
3. Dealing with Cultural Conflicts
4. Caregiving Routines: Feeding and Sleeping
5. Attachment and Separation
6. Differing Perspectives on Learning Through Play