Designed for prospective teachers without extensive music backgrounds, Music Fundaments, Methods and Materials for the Elementary Classroom Teacher, 5thEdition, provides both a thorough overview of the basic elements of music and a clear sequence of instructional steps that allows readers to participate in the same learning process they will later use as teachers. The text gives a proper overview to the basic elements of music, and a clear sequence of instructional steps in order to teach music to children in elementary school. This market-leading textbook can also be used as a major resource for elementary general music education specialists in the classroom.Packaged with an audio CD for use with the lessons, the text continues to be written in such a way that, once students leave the college classroom, they can easily use the text package as a resource handbook with their own students, without continued music specialist assistance and. #xA0; Pre-service and practicing teachers will appreciate the range of content covered in this edition including: Teaching the elements of music to children (theory, rhythm, melody, timbre, expressive elements, form, texture, and harmony); Developing music skills (voice instruction, musical instruments, listening activities, and movement); and Organizing musical experiences (lesson planning, and integrating music with other subjects). #xA0; Noteworthy enhancements made to the fifth edition include: expanded ideas on integrating music across the curriculum to enhance students#x19; knowledge of language arts, social studies, math and science; icons that represent curricular areas facilitate cross-curricular connections to music; references to the National Standards for Arts Education with direct applications to musical learning; inspirational accompaniment tracks for selected songs using children#x19;s voices; multicultural and patriotic folk songs, rhymes and movement activities; activities on beginning drumming; new helpful guidelines on maintaining vocal health; and more tools and suggestions for the assessment of concepts learned.
Section I: Teaching the Elements of Music to Children
Chapter 1: Music and the Child
Chapter 2: Teaching Rhythm to Children
Chapter 3: Teaching Melody to Children
Chapter 4: Teaching Timbre to Children
Chapter 5: Teaching Expressive Elements to Children
Chapter 6: Teaching Form to Children
Chapter 7: Teaching Texture to Children
Chapter 8: Teaching Harmony to Children
Section II: Developing Musical Skills
Chapter 9: The Singing Voice
Chapter 10: Playing Musical Instruments
Chapter 11: Listening Activities and Materials
Chapter 12: Movement and Children
Section III: Organizing Musical Experiences
Chapter 13: Lesson Planning
Chapter 14: Integrating Music with Other Subjects
Listing of Recorded Selections
1. A Ram Sam Sam (1:36). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
2. Arirang (1:17)
3. Achshav (Awake! Awake!) (1:27). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
4. Awake! Awake! (Achshav) (1:27). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
5. America, the Beautiful (2:05). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
6. Clementine (:36)
7. Sakura (Cherry Bloom) (:45)
8. Dona nobis pacem (Grant Us Peace) (3:04). 2005 Pearson Education, Inc.
9. Down by the Station (:24)
10. El florón (The Flower) (1:16). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
11. The Flower (1:17). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
12. Follow the Drinking Gourd (:56)
13. Free at Last (2:17). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
14. Hawaiian Rainbows (:38)
15. I Love the Mountains (1:25). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
16. Ida Red (:30)
17. Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho (:52)
18. Juanito (Little Johnny) (2:20). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
19. Little Johnny (2:20). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
20. Lift Every Voice and Sing (3:43). 1995 Silver Burdett Ginn.
21. Mary Ann (1:48). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
22. Mi cuerpo hace música (There’s Music in Me) (1:05). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
23. There’s Music in Me (1:05). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
24. Music Alone Shall Live (2:55)
25. Nighttime (:34)
26. Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen (1:26)
27. O Hanukkah (:43)
28. Pat Works on the Railway (:27)
29. Pin Pon (Spanish) (1:16). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
30. Pin Pon (English) (1:15). 2002 Pearson Education, Inc.
31. Simple Gifts (:52)
32. Star-Spangled Banner (1:19)
33. This Train, Oh When the Saints, Swing Low (1:52)
34. Yankee Doodle (1:16). 1988 Silver Burdett Ginn.
35. “Little Train of the Caipira” from Bachianas Brasileiras (4:53). Courtesy of Everest Records.
36. “Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks” from Pictures at an Exhibition, Mussorgsky (1:16). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
37. “Habanera” from Carmen, Bizet (1:37). Courtesy of Qualiton Imports, Ltd.
38. “Flight of the Bumblebee” from The Legend of Tsar Sultan, Rimsky-Korsakov (transcribed by J. Heifetz) (1:19). Courtesy of Denon Records/Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd.
39. Trombone excerpt from Stars and Stripes Forever , Sousa (1:12)
40. Bassoon excerpt, “In the Hall of the Mountain King” from Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Grieg (:57). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
41. Castanets excerpt from Capriccio Espagnol , Rimsky-Korsakov (1:49). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
42. Gregorian Chant, Alleluia (2:00). Courtesy of the Haydn Society.
43. Little Fugue in G Minor, BWV 578, Bach (3:27). Courtesy of Hyperion Records, Ltd.
44. Also Sprach Zarathustra excerpt, Strauss (1:44). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
45. “Ecce gratum” from Carmina Burana, Orff (2:48). Courtesy of Arts Music GmbH.
46. “Frightening” from Scenes of Childhood, Op.15, Schumann (1:44). Courtesy of SPG Music, Inc.
This compilation copyright © 2012 by Pearson.