Designed for prospective teachers without extensive music backgrounds, this market-leading text provides both a thorough overview of the basic elements of music and a clear sequence of instructional steps that allows readers to participate in the same learning process they will later use as teachers. Now available for the first time packaged with an audio CD which includes much of the music in the text, Music Fundamentals has been updated to reflect the new National Standards and the diverse nature of today's classrooms.
I: TEACHING THE ELEMENTS OF MUSIC TO CHILDREN.
1. Children and Music.
2. Teaching Rhythm to Children.
3. Teaching Melody to Children.
4. Teaching Timbre to Children.
5. Teaching Expressive Elements to Children.
6. Teaching Form to Children.
7. Teaching Texture to Children.
8. Teaching Harmony to Students.
II: DEVELOPING MUSICAL SKILLS.
9. The Singing Voice.
10. Playing Musical Instruments.
11. Listening Activities and Materials.
12. Movement and Children.
III. ORGANIZING MUSICAL EXPERIENCES.
13. Lesson Planning.
IV. TEACHING MUSIC IN SPECIALIZED AREAS.
14. Integrating Music Across the Curriculum.
15. Special Education and Mainstreaming.
Appendix A: Chapter Correlation for National Standards for Arts Education.
Appendix B: Instructional Material.