Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
For Student Success courses in high school, career college, community college, or university settings.
This book takes a logical approach to student success by starting with stress management in making positive behavioral changes for academic and personal success.
Navigating Your Future Success is readable and relevant to engage students in assessing their academic and workplace skills and develop a plan for success, starting with the critical foundation of stress management. MyStudentSuccessLab (www.mystudentsuccesslab.com) helps students to 'Start strong, Finish stronger' by acquiring the skills they need to succeed for ongoing personal and professional development.
Teaching & Learning Experience: Logical Learning Outcomes
How will students do well if they are “stressed out” as this impacts all aspects of their lives? Students will learn to harness stress in a positive way and set goals in their interpersonal skill areas to maximize external success skills. This program provides:
· Personalized Learning with MyStudentSuccessLab: Whether face-to-face or online, MyStudentSuccessLab helps students build the skills they need through peer-led video interviews, interactive practice exercises, and activities that provide academic, life, and professionalism skills.
· Personal Success Skills - Internal (or intrapersonal) success skills focus on how to do well “within yourself”. Stress management is followed by positive attitude, time management, goal setting, learning styles, critical/creative thinking, improving memory, and test taking.
· Professional Success Skills – Skills for succeeding “within your program and beyond.” These skills focus on communication, group interaction, team building, job-seeking, and leadership development.
· Effective Teaching Techniques – This book includes exercises to facilitate positive behavioral changes. Affective teaching differs from cognitive (theory) teaching, so behavioral changes are presented succinctly to show quick positive results that last.
Note: This is the standalone book, if you want the book/access code order the ISBN below:
0321952529 / 9780321952523 Navigating Your Future Success Plus NEW MyStudentSuccessLab 2013 Update -- Access Card Package
Package consists of:
0321885988 / 9780321885982 Navigating Your Future Success
0321943252 / 9780321943255 NEW MyStudentSuccessLab 2013 Update -- Valuepack Access Card
Bruce Colbert is an Associate Professor and Director of the Allied Health Department of the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. He has authored 10 books, developed an interactive worktext and DVD program on student success and has given over 300 invited lectures and interactive workshops at both the regional and national level. Many of Bruce’s workshops are devoted to softer skills such as stress and time management, enhancing critical and creative thinking, and developing effective decision making skills. He also consults with educational programs on improving teaching effectiveness by utilizing active teaching and learning techniques. Bruce is most proud of his volunteer work with wounded veterans in helping them to successfully transition into the workplace.
Jeremy Colbert is a graduate with high honors of Shenandoah University with a Music Education degree. He currently teaches at the Pittsburgh Music Academy and performs as a professional musician in the greater Pittsburgh area. He is a certified instructor in the Suzuki method of Piano instruction and teaches music theory, voice and guitar lessons.
Table of Contents
Part One: Traveling Toward Personal Success
Chapter 1: Stress Management: The Skill that Affects All Others
Chapter 2: Positive Attitudes and Goals: Preparing for Success
Chapter 3: Managing Your Resources: Time and Money
Chapter 4: Active Study Strategies: Learning “How to Learn”
Chapter 5: Learning Styles, Memory and Test Taking: Getting the Grade
Chapter 6: Creative Thinking and Decision Making: Making Good Choices
Part Two: A Roadmap for Professional Success
Chapter 7: Communication in Action: Presenting Yourself to Others
Chapter 8: Group Interaction and Team Building: Working Together Works
Chapter 9: Career Seeking and Leadership Development: Your Future Begins Now
Chapter 10: Enhancing Your Personal Health: Take Care of Yourself Along the Journey