Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
NOTE: Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for the Enhanced Pearson eText may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
This access code card provides access to the Enhanced Pearson eText.
Substance Abuse and Addiction Treatment shows how to help clients struggling with addiction by looking through the lens of counseling theory. After tackling basic concepts of substance abuse and dependence counseling, it looks at different counseling theories and how each supports the client with substance abuse issues. Offering more how-to's than most books, the author provides concrete descriptions of counseling theory in action, so readers know how to intervene during a real counseling session. A consistent case study is used throughout the entire book to illustrate different treatment approaches and techniques. The Enhanced Pearson eText features embedded video.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText*
This access code card provides access to the new Enhanced Pearson eText, a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience.
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.*
- Affordable. Experience the advantages of the Enhanced Pearson eText for 40-65% less than a print bound book.
* The Enhanced eText features are only available in the Pearson eText format. They are not available in third-party eTexts or downloads.
*The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.
Table of Contents
Brief Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction
Part I: Basic Concepts of Substance Abuse and Dependence Counseling
Chapter 2: Terms, Models, and Ethical Issues in Substance Abuse and Addiction
Chapter 3: Substance Classifications, Effects, and Associated Dangers
Chapter 4: Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment Planning of Substance Abuse
Part II: Theoretical Approaches Supported by Empirical Evidence
Chapter 5: Motivational Interviewing in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
Chapter 6: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
Chapter 7: Relapse Prevention in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
Chapter 8: Applying Group Theory in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
Chapter 9: Applying Family Systems Approaches in the Treatment of Substance
Abuse and Dependence
Part III: Theoretical Approaches with Less Empirical Support
Chapter 10: Solution-Focused Therapy in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
Chapter 11: Adlerian Therapy in the Treatment of Substance Abuse
Chapter 12: Gestalt Therapy in the Treatment of Substance Abuse and Dependence
Chapter 13: Existential Therapy in the Treatment of Substance Abuse