Also includes chapters on general drug information (pharmacology/pharmacotherapeutics, pharmacogenomics, safe drug administration, therapeutic classifications), numerous appendices, and new easy-to-spot symbols for Canadian drugs (maple leaf) and Do Not Crush (DNC) drugs. Text is complemented by free Toolkit containing hundreds of online resources.
You can also count on Nursing2016 Drug Handbook to tell you unapproved, off-label drug uses so you’ll always know why a drug is prescribed. And, this year, be a more confident nurse with fingertip access to …
• 32 NEW FDA-approved drugs
• NEW! Appendices on Serotonin syndrome, Tumor lysis syndrome, and the Nursing Process and Drug Therapy
• NEW! Appendices on Canadian drugs and safety concerns: Do Not Use chart (ISMP Canada), Decision Tree, Canadian National Drug Schedules.
• Adjust-a-dose feature for dosage adjustments needed by special populations
• Administration guidelines for all appropriate routes
• Expanded full-color pill guide containing more drug images than in any previous edition!
• Increased coverage of adverse reactions! Includes those that occur with 1% & greater frequency, with special emphasis on life-threatening adverse reactions
• Chapters on drug classes, drug safety, drug interactions, and drug therapy across the lifespan
• Combination drug section
• Elder care medication tips and pediatric drug-error information in appendices
• Evidence-based off-label indications and dosages
• FDA Black Box Warnings in appropriate drug monographs
• Interactions by Drug-drug, Drug-food, Drug-lab tests, Drug-alternative therapy clearly identified
• Less Commonly Used Drugs appendix provides essential information, including indications and dosages for very infrequently used drugs
• Overdose signs & symptoms, where appropriate
• Robust Web Toolkit with hundreds of tools and resources, including monthly drug updates, warnings, and news capsules
• Safe Drug Administration chapter focuses on the most current guidelines, ISMP initiatives, and contemporary patient safety issues (such as REMS), preventing and treating extravasation, and preventing exposure to hazardous drugs
• Safety alert icon for potentially toxic drugs, I.V. drug incompatibility, dialyzable drugs, toxic drug-drug interactions, and much more.