Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Used copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically, only the book itself is included.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
- The eBook copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. Typically only the book itself is included.
ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
Joan Salge Blake writes in a very engaging style, addressing the student directly, using colorful language and visual analogies in order to explain concepts, and captivating students with humor. Blake encourages students to relate the science of nutrition to their own dietary habits, enabling them to separate fact from fiction and to distinguish high-quality nutrient sources from those of lesser quality. Blake’s approach teaches students to think critically about information sources and the claims made in the popular press and online.
The Third Edition features MasteringNutrition™, an online homework, assessment, and tutorial system that allows instructors to personalize the nutrition course like never before with next generation course management tools. Students master topics through interactive mini-lessons, quizzing, and immediate wrong-answer feedback.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This text and supplemental package will provide a better teaching and learning experience–for you and your students. Here’s how:
- Personalize learning with MasteringNutrition: Improve results by helping students to quickly master concepts with self-paced tutorials that feature immediate wrong-answer feedback and hints that emulate the office-hour experience to keep students on track.
- Focus on visual learning: Appeal to today’s visual learners with Focus Figures and Visual Chapter Summaries that identify key objectives in a consistent, easy-to-study format.
- Emphasize critical thinking: Teach students to think critically about information sources and the claims made in the popular press and online.
- Emphasize applications: Encourage students to practice with MyDietAnalysis, a software system that allows students to do a diet assignment and then enter their information to create a variety of reports, in addition to other tools.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MasteringNutrition does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MasteringNutrition search for ISBN-10: 0321908732 /ISBN-13: 9780321908735. That package includes ISBN-10: 0321910400/ISBN-13: 9780321910400 and ISBN-10: 0321961552/ISBN-13: 9780321961556.
MasteringNutrition is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
Joan is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND; formerly the American Dietetic Association) and the Massachusetts Dietetic Association (MDA). She has been a presenter and Presiding Officer at both the AND Annual Meeting and the MDA Annual Convention, and was previously named MDA's “Young Dietitian of the Year,” MDA’s Outstanding Dietitian (2009), and ADA’s Outstanding Dietetic Educator (2007). Joan has served on the MDA board for more than a decade in many roles, including past MDA Director of Education and Nominating Committee Chairperson.
In addition to teaching and writing, Joan is an AND National Media Spokesperson, responsible for representing the association in the media and promoting its initiatives. Joan is often asked to translate complex nutritional issues in popular terms and has conducted more than 1,000 media interviews. Her nutrition segments can be seen regularly on Fox25 television in Boston. Joan is also the nutrition blogger for the Boston Globe’s Boston.com website.
Table of Contents
- What Is Nutrition?
- Tools for Healthy Eating
- The Basics of Digestion
- Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starches, and Fiber
- Fats, Oils, and Other Lipids
- Proteins and Amino Acids
- Minerals and Water
- Weight Management and Energy Balance
- Nutrition and Fitness
- Consumerism: From Farm to Table
- Food Safety and Technology
- Life Cycle Nutrition: Pregnancy Through Infancy
- Life Cycle Nutrition: Toddlers Through the Later Years
- Hunger at Home and Abroad
App A Calculations and Conversions
App B U.S. Exchange Lists for Meal Planning
App C Organizations and Resources