Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
David Colclough is Senior Lecturer in English at Queen Mary, University of London. He is the author of the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography life of John Donne, and the editor of John Donne's Professional Lives (D.S. Brewer, 2003). His monograph Freedom of Speech in Early Stuart England was published by Cambridge University Press in 2005.
Table of Contents
I. Donne as Court Chaplain
II. The Setting
i. Whitehall and the Chapel Royal
ii. St James'
iii. The Court
III. The Sermons
i. Form and Style
ii. Context and Doctrine
ii. Church Fathers
iii. Contemporary commentaries and controversial works
iv. Secular learning
V. The Texts
CALENDAR OF SERMONS, 1625-31
1. The First Sermon Preached to King Charles, At Saint Iames: 3?. April. 1625. [Ps. 11: 3]
2. A Sermon, Preached to the Kings Mtie. at Whitehall, 24. Febr. 1625. [Isa. 50: 1]
3. Preached to the King in my Ordinary wayting at White-hall, 18. Aprill 1626. [John 14: 2]
4. A Sermon Preached to the Houshold at White-hall, April 30. 1626. [Matt. 9: 13]
5. Preached to the King, at White-Hall, the first of April, 1627. [Mark 4: 24]
6. A Sermon Preached at White-hall February 29. 1627. [Acts 7: 60]
7. Preached to the King at White-hall, upon the occasion of the Fast, April 5. 1628 [Ps. 6: 6, 7]
8. Preached to the King at White-hall, April 15. 1628 [Isa. 32: 8]
9. A Lent-SERMON Preached at WHITE-HALL, February 20. 1628. [James 2: 12]
10. Two Sermons Preached before King Charles, Upon the xxvi verse of the first Chapter of genesis. [Gen. 1: 26]
11. The Second Sermon Preached before King Charles, Upon the xxvi verse of the first Chapter of genesis. [Gen. 1: 26]
12. A Lent-SERMON Preached to the KING, At WHITE-HALL, February 12. 1629. [Matt. 6: 21]
13. Preached to the King. April 20. 1630. [Job 16: 17, 18, 19]
14. DEATHS DVELL, OR, A Consolation to the Soule, against the dying Life, and liuing Death of the Body. [Ps. 68: 20]
Elegies printed with Sermon 14
A Note on Donne's portrait in Q1632
INDEX OF BIBLICAL TEXTS