Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
What version or edition is this?
What is included with this book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
William F. Keegan is Professor of Anthropology at the University of Florida and Curator of Caribbean Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History.
Corinne L. Hofman is Professor of Caribbean Archaeology at Leiden University, The Netherlands.
Reniel Rodríguez Ramos is Assistant Professor at the Universidad de Puerto Rico-Utuado and a Post-Doctoral Researcher at the Faculty of Archaeology of Leiden. University.
Table of Contents
List of Figures
List of Tables
Islands of History and the Precolonial History of the Caribbean Islands
1. Introduction to the Archaeology of the Insular Caribbean
William F. Keegan, Corinne L. Hofman, and Reniel Rodríguez Ramos
2. Caribbean Archaeology in Historical Perspective
Peter E. Siegel
3. The Climatic Context for pre-Columbian Archaeology in the Caribbean
4. Indigenous Languages of the Caribbean
5. The Taínos
William F. Keegan
6. Kinship and Social Organization in the Prehistoric Caribbean
7. Ethnohistory of the Caribs
8. The Arawak Diaspora: Perspectives from South America
9. The Humanization of the Insular Caribbean
Reniel Rodríguez Ramos, Jaime Pagán Jiménez, and Corinne Hofman
10. Gateway to the Mainland: Trinidad and Tobago
11. Isthmo-Antillean Engagements
Reniel Rodríguez Ramos
12. Huecoid Culture and the Antillean Agroalfarero (Farmer-Potter) Period
Luis A. Chanlatte Baik
14. The Southward Route Hypothesis
Scott M. Fitzpatrick
15. The Post-Saladoid in the Lesser Antilles (AD 600/800-1492)
Corinne L. Hofman
16. Meillacoid and the Origins of Classic Taino Society
17. Archaeological Practice, Archaic Presence and Interaction in Indigenous Societies in Cuba
Jorge Ulloa Hung and Roberto Valcárcel Rojas.
19. The Bahama archipelago
Mary Jane Berman, Perry Gnivecki and Michael Pateman
20. Archaeological Views of Caribbean Seafaring
Richard T. Callaghan
21. An Archaeology of Spatiality in the Caribbean
Christopher F. Altes
22. Exchange as a Social Contract: A Perspective from the Microscale
23. Studying Pre-Columbian Interaction Networks: Mobility and Exchange
Angus A. A. Mol
24. Rethinking Chiefdoms in the Caribbean
Joshua M. Torres
25. Household Archaeology
26. Zooarchaeology in the Caribbean: Current Research and Future Prospects
27. Human-Plant Dynamics in the Precolonial Antilles: A Synthetic Update
Jaime R. Pagán Jiménez
28. Stable Isotope Analysis of Paleodiet in the Caribbean
William J. Pestle
29. Stable Isotope Research in Caribbean Contexts: New Perspectives on Old Questions
30. The Study of Pre-Columbian Human Remains in the Caribbean Archipelago: From Descriptive Osteology to a Bioarchaeological Approach
Edwin F. Crespo Torres, Hayley L. Mickleburgh and Roberto Varcárcel Rojas
31. From Corpse Taphonomy to Mortuary Behavior in the Caribbean: A Case Study from the Lesser Antilles
Menno L.P. Hoogland and Corinne L. Hofman
32. The DNA Evidence for the Human Colonization and Spread Across the Americas: Implications for the Peopling of the Caribbean
Juan Martínez Cruzado
32. Rock Art of the Caribbean
Michele H. Hayward, Lesley-Gail Atkinson, and Michael A. Cinquino, with contributions by Gérard Richard
33. Metals in the Indigenous Societies of the Insular Caribbean
Roberto Valcárcel Rojas and Marcos Martinón Torres
34. New Directions in Caribbean Historical Archaeology
Douglas V. Armstrong
36. Transcending Oppression: Contributions of Maroon Heritage to Freedom in World History
E. Kofi Agorsah
37. The Construction of an Identity and the Politics of Remembering
Carmen A. Laguer Díaz
38. Caribbean Archaeology in the Next 50 years
Samuel M. Wilson