Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The book covers the emergence of nationalist ideas, sentiments, and cultural movements before the formation of a world of nation-states as well as nationalist politics before and after the era of the nation-state, with chapters covering Europe, the Middle East, North-East Asia, South Asia, South-East Asia, and the Americas. Essays on everday national sentiment and race ideas in fascism are accompanied by chapters on nationalist movements opposed to existing nation-states, nationalism and international relations, and the role of external intervention into nationalist disputes within states. In addition, the book looks at the major challenges to nationalism: international socialism, religion, pan-nationalism, and globalization, before a final section considering how historians have approached the subject of nationalism.
Taken separately, the chapters in this Handbook will deepen understanding of nationalism in particular times and places; taken together they will enable the reader to see nationalism as a distinct subject in modern world history.
John Breuilly is Professor of Nationalism and Ethnicity at the London School of Economics. His main interests are in the history and theory of nationalism and in modern European, especially German history. Recent book publications include Austria, Prussia and the Making of Modern Germany, 1806-1871(2011), Nationalism, Power and Modernity in Nineteenth-Century Germany (2007), and articles and chapters on charismatic leadership and nationalism and on nationalism and global history. He is currently working on a book on the global history of nationalism, also to be published by Oxford University Press.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction: Concepts, Approaches, Theories, John Breuilly
Part I: The Emergence of Nationalism: Ideas and Sentiments
2. Nationalisms and Vernaculars, 1500-1800, Peter Burke
3. Nationalism: Intellectual Origins, Erica Benner
4. Anti-Western Doctrines of Nationalism, Andreas Eckert
5. Cultural Nationalism, John Hutchinson
Part II: The Emergence of Nationalism: Politics and Power
6. Independence and Nationalism in the Americas, Don Doyle and Eric van Young
7. The French Revolution, Napoleon and Nationalism in Europe, Michael Rowe
8. Nationalism and National Unification in 19th Century Europe, John Breuilly
9. National Movements in the Habsburg and Ottoman Empires, Miroslav Hroch
10. Separatist Nationalism in the Romanov and Soviet Empires, Theodore Weeks
11. Nationalism in the Middle East, 1876-1945, Aviel Roshwald
12. Nationalisms in India, 1857-1947, Joya Chatterji
13. The Origins of Southeast Asian Nations: A Question of Timing, David Henley
14. Nationalism in East Asia, 1839-1945, Rana Mitter
15. Nationalism in Colonial and Post-Colonial Africa: An Introduction, Bruce Berman and John Lonsdale
16. Anti-Colonial Nationalism and Patriotism in sub-Saharan Africa, John Lonsdale
Part III: Nationalism in a World of Nation States: Politics and Power
17. Nationalism and Imperialism c.1860-1918, John Darwin
18. Nationalism in Post-Colonial Africa, Bruce Berman
19. Latin America: State-Building and Nationalism, Nicola Miller
20. State-Building and Nationalism in the Nineteenth Century U.S.A, Susan-Mary Grant
21. Nationalism in Europe 1918-1945, Oliver Zimmer
22. Nationalism in the Arab World Since 1945, Fred Halliday
23. Nationalism in North-East Asia Since 1945, Aaron Moore
24. Nationalism in Post-Independence South-East Asia: a Comparative Analysis, John Sidel
25. Nation-Building and Nationalism: the Indian Subcontinent 1947-1990, Christophe Jaffrelot
26. Nationalism in South-Eastern Europe 1970-2000, Sabine Rutar
Part IV: Nationalism in a World of Nation States: Ideas, Sentiments and International Relations
27. International Society, State Sovereignty and National Self Determination, James Mayall
28. International Interventions in Nationalist Disputes, Richard Caplan
29. Fascism and Racism, Roger Eatwell
30. Nationalism without States, Montserrat Guibernau
31. National Identity and Everyday Life, Yves Deloye
Part V: Challenges to the World of Nation States
32. Nationalism and International Socialism, John Schwarzmantel
33. Religion and Nationalism, Peter van der Veer
34. Pan-nationalism of Pan-Islamic, Pan-Asian and Pan-African Thought, Cemil Aydin
35. Nationalism and Globalization, Jurgen Oesterhammel
Part VI: Nationalist Historiography
36. Nationalism and Historical Writing, Paul Lawrence