Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
This volume examines the experiences of individuals and communities who change religions, those who experience an intensification of their religion of origin, and those who encounter new religions through colonial intrusion, missionary work, and charismatic and revitalization movements. The thirty-two innovative essays provide overviews of the history of particular religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Sikhism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, indigenous religions, and new religious movements. The essays also offer a wide range of disciplinary perspectives-psychological, sociological, anthropological, legal, political, feminist, and geographical-on methods and theories deployed in understanding conversion, and insight into various forms of deconversion.
Lewis R. Rambo is Professor of World Religions and Christian Mission at the San Francisco Theological Seminary and the Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley.
Charles Farhadian is Professor of World Religions and Christian Mission at Westmont College.
Table of Contents
Introduction - Lewis R. Rambo and Charles E. Farhadian
1. History of Religious Conversion - Marc David Baer
2. Demographics of Religious Conversion - Todd M. Johnson
3. Geography of Religious Conversion - Lily Kong and Seeta Nair
4. Anthropology of Conversion - Henri Gooren
5. The Role of Language in Religious Conversion - Peter Stromberg
6. Sociology of Conversion - Fenggang Yang and Andrew Abel
7. Conversion and the Historic Spread of Religions - Robert Montgomery
8. Migration and Conversion of Korean American Christians - Rebecca Kim
9. Psychology of Religious Conversion - Ray Paloutzian
10. Religious Conversion and Cognitive Neuroscience - Kelly Bulkeley
11. Dreaming and Religious Conversion - Kelly Bulkeley
12. Deconversion - Heinz Streib
13. Feminist Approaches to the Study of Conversion- Eliza Kent
14. Religious Conversion and the Arts - Diane Apostolos-Cappadona
15. Religious Conversion as Narrative and Autobiography - Bruce Hindmarsh
16. Religious Conversion and Semiotic Analysis - Massimo Leone
17. Politics and Religious Conversion - Timothy J. Steigenga
18. Hinduism and Conversion - Arvind Sharma
19. Conversion to Jainism - Andrea Jain
20. Conversion to Buddhism - Dan Smyer YŁ
21. Conversion to Sikhism - Gurinder Singh Mann
22. Conversion to Daoism - Louis Komjathy
23. Conversion to Confucianism - Anna Sun
24. Conversion and Indigenous Religions in China - Fan Lizhu and Chen Na
25. Conversion to Judaism - Alan Segal
26. Conversion to Christianity - David Kling
27. Conversion to Islam in Theological and Historical Perspectives - Marcia Hermansen
28. Conversion to Islam and the Construction of a Pious Self - Karin van Nieuwkerk
29. Conversion to New Religious Movements - Douglas Cowan
30. Deconversion from New Religious Movements - Stuart A. Wright
31. Legal and Political Issues and Religious Conversion - James Richardson
32. Conversion to Mormonism - Seth L. Bryant, Henri Gooren, Rick Phillips, & David G. Stewart, Jr.