Bulk sales, PO's, Marketplace Items, eBooks, Apparel, and DVDs not included.
Questions About This Book?
- The New copy of this book will include any supplemental materials advertised. Please check the title of the book to determine if it should include any CDs, lab manuals, study guides, etc.
- The Rental copy of this book is not guaranteed to include any supplemental materials. You may receive a brand new copy, but typically, only the book itself.
The chapters critically assess both the key works of state and local politics literature and the ways in which the sub-field has developed. It covers the main areas of study in subnational politics by exploring the central contributions to the comparative study of institutions, behavior, and policy in the American context. Each chapter outlines an agenda for future research.
Donald P. Haider-Markel, Professor of Political Science, University of Kansas
Donald P. Haider-Markel is Professor of political science at the University of Kansas. His research and teaching is focused on the representation of interests in the policy process and the dynamics between public opinion and policy. He has authored or co-authored over 45 refereed articles, multiple book chapters, and several books in a range of issue areas, including the environment, religion and the culture wars, civil rights, criminal justice, and terrorism. He has been recipient or co-recipient of grants from the EPA STAR program, the National Science Foundation, and the American Psychological Foundation.
Table of Contents
1. Sub-National Political Science, Donald P. Haider-Markel
2. Relations between State and National Governments, John Dinan
3. Relations between Local and National Governments, Robert Agranoff
4. Relations between State and Local Governments, Carol S. Weissert and Jessica Ice
II. Political Behavior in the States and Localities
5. Local Political Participation, Brady Baybeck
6. State Political Participation, Carolyn Tolbert and William W. Franko
7. Local and State Interest Group Organizations, Anthony Nownes
8. Local and State Political Parties, Joel W. Paddock
9. Local Campaigns and Elections, Timothy Krebs
10. State Campaigns and Elections, William D. Hicks and Daniel A. Smith
III. State Political Institutions
11. Early State History and Constitutions, John Kincaid
12. State Direct Democracy, Shawn Bowler and Todd Donovan
13. State Legislatures, Keith Hamm, Ronald D. Hedlund, and Nancy Martorano Miller
14. State Executives, Margaret Ferguson
15. State Courts, Chris Bonneau and Brent Boyea
16. State Bureaucracy: Policy Delegation, Comparative Institutional Capacity, and Administrative Politics in the American States, George A. Krause and Neil Woods
V. Local Political Institutions
17. Local Boundaries, Megan Mullin
18. Local Legislatures, Suzanne Leland and Holly Whisman
19. Local Executives, Richard C. Feiock and Jungah Bae
20. Local Courts, Richard A. Brisbin, Jr.
21. Local Bureaucracy, Kelly M. LeRoux
VI. Sub-National Public Policy Processes
22. The Context of Local Policymaking, Zoltan Hajnal
23. The Context of State Policy Policymaking, Robert C. Lowery
24. State Policy and Democratic Representation, William G. Jacoby and Saundra K. Schneider
25. Local Policy and Democratic Representation, Christine Kelleher Palus, Villanova University
VII. Sub-National Public Policies
26. Fiscal Policy, James Garand, Justin Ulrich, and Ping Xu
27. Economic Development Policy (local and state), Paul Brace
28. Education Policy, Paul Manna
29. Social Welfare Policy, Mark Carl Rom
30. Health Care Policy, Charles Barrilleaux
31. Criminal Justice Policy (and policing), Garrick Percival
32. Morality Policy, Alesha Doan
33. Environmental Policy, Michael D. Jones, Elizabeth A. Shanahan and Lisa J. Hammer
34. Regulatory Policy, Paul Teske and Colin Provost
35. Policies Towards Minority Populations, Richard Fording and John Poe
36. Sub-National Politics: A Methodological Perspective, Fred Boehmke and Regina P. Branton
37. Sub-National Politics: A National Political Perspective, Bertram Johnson
38. Sub-National Politics: A Comparative Perspective, Nicole Bolleyer
39. The Future of Sub-National Political Research, Donald P. Haider-Markel